how to get a man to clean cat litter

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My bf doesn't know how to cover the cat litter he makes a mess of it every time which gets me mad cause he wakes me up. For example we switched her food on her without warning cause the othe cat food we couldn't find but she likes this one better I will keep it with this one. But back to the question how in the world can I train my bf on how to do the catlittter when he was never raised with a cat in the house only dogs and I was raised with both

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Not sure what your question is. Are you talking about scooping the litter? Or covering up the deposits when kitty doesn't cover it herself?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, at least he's doing it! If you want him to do it, let him do it his own way. . .I know that if someone picks on the way I do things, I just won't do them anymore :/. If he seems to be struggling with his technique, and he's generally open to suggestions, you could give a few pointers. But otherwise, don't fuss.

Last edited:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you give more details? I'm having trouble imagining how someone could make a mess out of scooping cat poop. You scoop the poop and dispose of it, right? Is he scattering the litter on the floor, or not adding more to the litter box? What, exactly, is he doing wrong? It's a pretty self-explanatory chore...

But I have to agree with Willowy. If he's doing it at all, that's a good thing. A few pointers here or there might help, but be sure to make him feel good about it and not like he's being criticized. He's at least trying to help, after all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What he is doing is that he actually touches the poop when it is fresh with the litter he makes a mess on the pooperscooper cause he puts the pooper scooper on the poop instead of just the litter and she seems to only do it during the day and not at night when we are asleep. She is a strange cat but back to what I was saying he doesn't know how to cover her poop without touching it with the scooper. I have tried to watch him when he does it and it looks like to me when he puts the litter ontop of the poop he actually puts the scooper in the poop instead of huvering it. When I try to show him that you need to hover it he says the smell is to bad for him to go over there so should I just do it all myself instead of him trying to help he is getting on my nerves with it and I just want my tabby baby to be in a stress free as possible inviroment.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the problem is the poop is getting smeared around. That would be gross, I agree. If the cause is that he's a little clumsy about it, I would just put up with it for now and see if he figures out on his own how to do it without making a mess. But, if you can't overlook it and it's causing stress, then maybe he should be "relieved" of litter duty (no pun intended
).

Last edited:

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol on the last part but he never does it unless I'm asleep but she has come to realize that when I'm asleep and have been woken by my boyfriend I get mad at him for waking me but if she wakes me I don't get mad at all and she wakes me up a lot but she realises I will love her even when I'm half awake after she wakes me so she wakes me up when she wants to be loved on and I'm asleep but he leaves all the cat care exept morning dry food to me. She knows I take care of her and love her so she listens to me more than my bf. Like I said just to clarify I get mad at my bf for waking me up not her.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol on the last part but he never does it unless I'm asleep but she has come to realize that when I'm asleep and have been woken by my boyfriend I get mad at him for waking me but if she wakes me I don't get mad at all and she wakes me up a lot but she realises I will love her even when I'm half awake after she wakes me so she wakes me up when she wants to be loved on and I'm asleep but he leaves all the cat care exept morning dry food to me. She knows I take care of her and love her so she listens to me more than my bf. Like I said just to clarify I get mad at my bf for waking me up not her.
I think a cat knows who takes care of them. That's why I get all the love and hugs and kisses.

dejolane

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She seems to be more loving towards me and listens to me when I tell her to go to the bedroom than when he does cause she will walk and go directly to the room if I'm there but if its my bf she doesn't want to listen to him as easily but she does love his ear scratches for some reason. Lol

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh and the reason why its so discusting is cause the poop is fresh and he never has had to deal with fresh poop I was raised with animals so I have had to deal with it all especially since after school I would have to go home let the dogs out clean whatever mess they had made before my dad got home if they was getting trained not to use if they wasn't in the crate after they got crate broke and was almost all the way house (unless they had an upset stomach which only happend to the older animals)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't even try to scoop fresh poop. I always wait until it's mostly dried out. If kitty isn't covering and it's too stinky, just sprinkle some litter over the top and let it set for a while.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is what I do but my bf doesn't get the consept of hover the scooper over the poop don't try to flip or put the scooper in the poop.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
That is what I do but my bf doesn't get the consept of hover the scooper over the poop don't try to flip or put the scooper in the poop.
I'm still confused as to what exactly you're trying to get him to do. I can't quite picture how you would "hover" over the poop. Maybe "hover" means something different to you than it does to me.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Putting the scooper over the poop without touching it and shaking the litter onto the poop. Some how he ends up putting the scooper inside the poop

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tabbymommy, is this poop firm and well-formed?   It sounds to me like it might be diarrhea-ish for your bf to even be able to put the scoop "in" it.  

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She just got put on new food without transition so she is alil upset tummy but it is becoming back to normal (we got her and didn't know what she used to eat so we bout her some dry and wet food and she loves both types but he has never delt with poop from a cat before only dogs.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When my cats don't cover their poop, I don't attempt to shake new litter onto the poop itself with the scoop. I flip it over and use the edge to rake new litter over it, like you would rake leaves on the ground. Hope that helps.

drbobcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mea Culpa!  I was very bad at litterbox cleaning, mostly forgetful.  My solution was to volunteer at a cat rescue!  When you're in a relatively small room with lots of cats and lots of boxes, you know right away when there's work to be done.  You also learn how to clean boxes and replace litter. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would leave him alone and see if he can figure it out on his own. Sometimes, the more said, the worse it makes things. If he doesn't figure it out, then let him off the hook. He can help you do other things.:lol3: