How to get a cat to cover their poop?

catluv-r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got a cat from a previous owner, and whenever she goes in her litter box she never covers it up! And since j live in a small apartment, it stinks of the whole place and everyone thinks it's gross! She never covers and I've tried to tell her to but she just doesn't. Any help? And I don't know if she does it on purpose, or whatever, but poop always ends up outside of her litterbox, and we don't have a place for the do its out in the open, and people always step on it! I think it might be because she doesn't feel it, but I don't know! Any help!?!

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi CatLuv-r.

Good luck with that one Honey!!They all have their own rituals on how they go.Different diet may help.But cat poo just is not always perfume.lol.Be glad kitty is using the box & not the floor.Or depending on litter you could try a different type.Maybe ask where she came from what they were using for litter.But Cat's have their own ways of thinking.

Hugs C.

kigomin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine usually covers his but not tonight !! I really was mesmerized. It was a bigger than usual size so I thought maybe he found it gross and didn't dare take care of it... Hoping this doesn't become a habit.
Marcel never covers his poop, and not only is it stinky, but with his furry paws it really causes problems.  He poops, doesn't cover, steps in it, and then the poop gets stuck to the furry paws and gets tracked everywhere!  Gross!!

Is there any way to teach him to cover his poop?  Any insight on why he might be doing this?  Do I have an options or am I just stuck with this!?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that alpha cats do not cover their poop. I've also noticed in my cat that if the poop stinks badly, he won't cover it. [emoji]128533[/emoji]

kigomin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well what surprised me was that he usually doesn't do that...

Last edited: