How To Gain Trust Back From Cat?

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a little long.
i brought spooky over to my fiancé’s home, because I spend a lot of time there and spooky was beginning to act out a lot at my home with my family because of it. He kept running out and meowing excessively, so I packed him up and took him with me. When we arrived I had him stay in my fiancé’s mother’s room. My cat Salem regularly frequents this room and my fiancé’s room, but I figured spooky would be a lot more comfortable in his mother’s
I told my fiancé that we would need to take the introduction slow but he didn’t listen. When I first let spooky out of his cage, he hid for awhile. With persistence he came out and interacted with me and my fiancé. It helped that he knew us and trusted us. Against my wishes, he brought in Salem, my younger kitten. First he had her in the cage and spooky out, he hid again. Then he took her out the cage holding her forcing her in front of spooky. She hissed. He didn’t show any aggression.
I told him to take her out of the room. He did. But 20 min later he brought her back in and held her in front of spooky, and she hissed more aggressively. He again, did nothing.
At this point I’m getting frustrated because my fiancé refuses to do the introductions right. We kept the door closed for the next hour, then someone came in and left it open. Salem came in and started exploring around the room. Spooky was on the bed. I told him to get her but she told me to let him be. She walked all around the room,smelling all his belongings, got to the bed and hissed at him and ran to the other room. I followed her into the room and tried to interact with her and she hissed at me. She’s never hissed.
I tried to pick her up and she again hissed at me. I gave her some space and came back, and she let me play with her, but she would meow then hiss. I left her alone for the rest of the night.
This morning she got into the room because someone exited and left the door open. Spooky must have felt that I was threatened because he started to approach her and she started to growl and hiss aggresively. I managed to get her out the room. I checked on her a few minutes ago and she showed no aggression but hid from me.
How do I gain her trust again? Spooky staying here is only temporary and I don’t want to damage my relationship with her because of my fiancé’s mistakes. Should I hold off on the introductions and focus on making her less stressed first? Any advice would be appreciated.

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think this is just temporary. Your cat will get used to this situation in a while. I had a similair situation. My cat really didn't like it when we brought a kitty into our home. She hissed, growled, lashes out and did the same thing to me eventhough we are very close. After a day she still did the same, but didn't do it to me anymore. We also did the introduction semi how it should be done.. but still ended up alright.

I think some quality time for your and your cat is important! Not just 5 minutes, but I mean like a lot longer. Really take some time for it. And if your cat doesn't allow you to get close or to pet her/him, than maybe grab a magazine or do something in the same room, just you and the cat and let him/her adjust. The cat probably needs some time, this can be really stressful! Give it time and some effort to spend quality time between you two!

Also, really talk to your partner about introducing them well and stress how important it is to you. He should respect that!

Also feliway stress reliever might come in handy in this situation. There is one for multiple cats who need to get along!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's fearfully difficult to introduce cats when the others in your household have no interest in doing this properly! I'm going to give you the links to our articles on introducing cats, and how to fix an introduction that has gone wrong...my hope is that you can convince the bf to read them and pay attention.

THAT SAID, we have more than one member here who have the philosophy, "leave them alone and they will work it out." And they have successful multicat households. I don't quite agree with them, but neither can I argue with their success, so even if the bf doesn't get on board with an introduction plan, all is not lost!

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Re-directed Aggression In Cats (there's a bit of this happening)
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
The Multi-cat Household

I can assure you that, once things settle down a bit, Spooky will trust you again. It isn't that she doesn't now, there is just SO MUCH new going on. And yes, I would get her settled and confident first, and worry about introductions later. Cats are very territorial, and she has lost her territory completely. That's why MOST cats do NOT travel well at all.