How to find out the breed of my cat?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's always difficult to say with cats. I identify ours as a "domestic shorthair" or "European shorthair", although his mom was an "Oriental shorthair", and his presumed dad a "Norwegian Forest Cat", or maybe a "Maine Coon". I just figure he's a mongrel, and that accounts for his little head, overlong body, and long belly and leg hairs. The main thing is that the cat is healthy and happy. Is a pedigree really necessary?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Is a pedigree really necessary?
Not.

I'd call all of mine 'mixed breed shorthairs', and that's fine. I've never deliberately had a purebred cat, and probably never will; we tend to go for the garden variety kitty who turns up needing a home just when we have one to offer.

But I understand where MyCatRocky is coming from. It doesn't MATTER that my kitties are not purebreds, but it would be interesting to know their lineage -- it might even give some insight into their personalities.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thesek are 2 picture of Coco. I thought that she was tortoiseshell. But now it seems she is partly tortoiseshell and Calico??
She is a calico, I think.  The color fields are well enough definied for this.    Observe, both tortie and calico are descriptions of pattern and color, its not breeds as such.

The biggest difference between a tortie and a calico, is  a tortie has the colors black and red, or blue and creme, intermingled with each other.  A tortie may also carry white, which is usually in its own well definied spots.  Or she doesnt has white at all...   :)

A calico has too black and red (sometimes blue and creme), which are well kept together in its own color fields.  A calico carries also white,

and is sometimes called for a three colored cat.

Both torties and calicos are almost always female.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought calicos and tortoiseshells were genetically the same xx red and black wether dilute cream and blue or not , but different bi colour white parts, gene showing or not. And that how much underling tabby markings show is a " quality " issue breeders of cats that can be totishells for show avioding these cats and breeding with either carefully breed buff ( red dilute in which all or most of the tabby markings have been breed out or blacks. Male calico/ tories being sterile if the are born. I have noticed the tidy- ness of the colour fields but never questioned my if it has white patches its a calico assumptions .

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I thought calicos and tortoiseshells were genetically the same xx red and black wether dilute cream and blue or not , but different bi colour white parts, gene showing or not. And that how much underling tabby markings show is a " quality " issue breeders of cats that can be totishells for show avioding these cats and breeding with either carefully breed buff ( red dilute in which all or most of the tabby markings have been breed out or blacks. Male calico/ tories being sterile if the are born. I have noticed the tidy- ness of the colour fields but never questioned my if it has white patches its a calico assumptions .
Yes, as I understand it they are the same gene.   Why some has clear edges but the others are intertwined I dont know, my speculation there may be also additional help genes too.

Calicos has always the white spot gene too, by definition, and torties may or may not.

Another riddle of similiar type is the longhair and mediumhair.  They say its the same gene, but why then some are longhair and others medium??   I have the same speculation here too... some additional help gene.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ After posting that I went to Wikipedia and apparently (although it is not always right ) in North America vs uk thing that tortiseshell with any white are called calico: tortiseshell with white