How to ensure your kitten doesn't eat your cat's food? (And vice versa)

guit4rheroine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two adult cats that I feed a weight control formula. However, I just adopted a kitten and it needs kitten food. My adult cats tend to get chubby when they eat anything other than their food... And the kitten needs the extra nutrition of a higher calorie food. How do I ensure they eat the proper food?

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A good friend of mine has two cats and two dogs, one of her dogs always used to try and eat the cat food before the cats could even get to it!

What she does is feed all of the animals at the same time, the dogs eat the kitchen and she puts the cat food in another room like her bathroom (which is huge) or out on the screened in porch. The cats are used to this so they obediently follow her wherever she puts it. Since the dogs are fed first they don't really pay attention, as they are eating.

Maybe you can do this too, feed the adult cats in the their usual space, since they were there first and create a new space for the kitten to eat. Of course this will only work if you put out a portion at a time and remove any of the extra food that any of them have not eaten 

Last edited:

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a similar problem with my two adult cats. Pierre had a tendency to wolf down his food and then turn to what was left in Fuzzy's dish. Solution: dishes in two different rooms and I close the door until Fuzzy is finished.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be a challenge. I don't really feed mine very much kitten food for this reason specifically. I have 4 kittens that are 7 months old so they basically eat the same food as the other cats do. I also have 3 foster kittens. I do feed them kitten food as they're only about 14 weeks old, but i feed them in a separate room.