How to effectively move 3 week old kittens

jbeam72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! Long story short, I rescued a young female cat from a mobile home park in March. Due to Covid19, I delayed taking her to the vet. It became apparent she was pregnant. She must have been hours pregnant when I rescued her because 63 days later, on Memorial day she gave birth to 4 kittens in my closet. It has been an amazing time. 2 nights ago at 3 in the morning she decided to move her kittens to underneath my dresser. I have no idea why, we gave her a lot of privacy in the closet with the exception of a couple of daily visits and mama cat could come in and out as much as she wanted. I would have no issue with them being moved to underneath my dresser except they cry a lot and It's disrupting my sleep, also the fact they don't seem as happy there. I would like to move them back to the closet and eventually to our screened in porch area. Any advice on how to do this and keep mama cat happy?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Until some more experienced members come along to offer you some guidance, I just wanted to ask if the mama is still tending to these kittens? The fact that you say they are crying a lot concerns me a bit. If they are being fed and taken care of by mama, I would not expect them to be crying. Where is the mama staying - near them or in the closet by herself, or somewhere else? Mama cats will move their kittens to different locations, it can be instinctual as they are trying to protect them from 'perceived' predators. Tell us a bit more about what is going on with her care of them, and that will help shed some light on what you might need to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jbeam72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Until some more experienced members come along to offer you some guidance, I just wanted to ask if the mama is still tending to these kittens? The fact that you say they are crying a lot concerns me a bit. If they are being fed and taken care of by mama, I would not expect them to be crying. Where is the mama staying - near them or in the closet by herself, or somewhere else? Mama cats will move their kittens to different locations, it can be instinctual as they are trying to protect them from 'perceived' predators. Tell us a bit more about what is going on with her care of them, and that will help shed some light on what you might need to do.
Thank you for your reply! She's a great mom and is still tending to them. She doesn't venture into the closet anymore, she is with them most of the day under the dresser.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as you are sure she is feeding them well, and you are not concerned about the location, I would just let them be. If you are really being bothered by them being there, you can try moving them all back to the closet and see what she does, but odds are she will move them again anyway. You could try setting up another bedding arrangement for her and the kittens just in case she might move them from the closet to your newly set up spot - but, it might not work! If you do move them, and she moves them back, I wouldn't move them a second time! And, as far as relocating them to the screened porch, I would wait until they are eating solid foods and have pretty much stopped nursing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mother cats tend to move their kittens around the 3-week mark. That is when they become toddlers and begin to leave the nest to explore a little bit.

I think it’s time they came out from under the dresser so they can move freely. You also need to be able to see them to make sure they are okay. They also need handling now so they begin to get socialized to people.

Do you have a spare room to put them in for a couple more weeks? If not, the screened porch will work, but make sure it is kitten-proofed. You’d be surprised what trouble kittens can get into. You’ll also need to spend time with the kittens. Sit on the floor and let them climb on you.

You’ll want to put mom’s food, water, and litter nearby as well. The kittens will begin weaning at the 5-6 week mark. Here are helpful links:

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition

Weaning: How To Get Your Kittens To Eat On Their Own

:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jbeam72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mother cats tend to move their kittens around the 3-week mark. That is when they become toddlers and begin to leave the nest to explore a little bit.

I think it’s time they came out from under the dresser so they can move freely. You also need to be able to see them to make sure they are okay. They also need handling now so they begin to get socialized to people.

Do you have a spare room to put them in for a couple more weeks? If not, the screened porch will work, but make sure it is kitten-proofed. You’d be surprised what trouble kittens can get into. You’ll also need to spend time with the kittens. Sit on the floor and let them climb on you.

You’ll want to put mom’s food, water, and litter nearby as well. The kittens will begin weaning at the 5-6 week mark. Here are helpful links:

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition

Weaning: How To Get Your Kittens To Eat On Their Own

:)
This is extremely helpful. Thank you! Let the true kitten fun begin! The temps are unseasonably cool where I am right now so I will wait. I'll sleep on the couch if needed. I don't have an extra room for them, just the porch. It's mamas favorite place so I'm hoping she'll be happy about it. Will go kitty proof shopping tomorrow and will set up an old dog crate.