How to differentiate between strays and cats that belong to someone?

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Depends - my vet recommends that cats are microchipped but has a very graphic photo of a badly injured cat who got caught on his breakaway collar and so recommends no collar. If people are being told by vets not to use collars...

I do however stick one on mine when we go to the vets / groomers as a just in case and they are all microchipped
I agree, our old cat Mikey got out, had a collar on and thankfully someone was in the vicinty of where he was haging from a tree by his blue collar, got him down safely and just in time! Too much nature out there for cat collars~!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

The norm where I live is outdoor - or outdoor/occasionally indoor. When you tell people you have indoor only cats they look at you like you are crazy.
Our city bylaws allow cats to be outdoor only if they do not leave your property, one little paw off your lot and they will likely be scooped up by animal control if we dont get them first

Animal control gives a fine, we give a lecture - owners choice. Most cats we take in are strays but the majority of ones that are claimed are not allowed outdoors but got out by accident.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Our city bylaws allow cats to be outdoor only if they do not leave your property, one little paw off your lot and they will likely be scooped up by animal control if we dont get them first

Animal control gives a fine, we give a lecture - owners choice. Most cats we take in are strays but the majority of ones that are claimed are not allowed outdoors but got out by accident.
There's a leash law for dogs (and could be considered for cats, too) but it's not enforced. Again, poor AC. The city doesn't have the money or a place to take animals. If they were to catch them like that I highly doubt vet euthanasia would be the outcome for those unclaimed, not when "bullets are cheaper"...

Those that live in cities that actually have funding for things like this, be glad.

ipw533

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely a stray, and probably a dump. The evidence? From observation he is gradually losing his fear of me and feeling more comfortable during his forays here. He is not overtly aggressive, but some of the cats are deferring to him simply because of his size. This is a cat used to being around humans--no feral would do what he does.

I thought he might be a local cat who had been let out by his owner, but that no longer seems to be the case--his tail and hindquarters are full of burrs and no effort has been made to remove them. I'll trap him within the next week or so--should be easy....