How To Deal With Kitten For The Night :/

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys

I got a scottish fold female kitten 2 weeks ago

Since the first day I bring her on my bed with me at night

She usually sleeps very well but at least 2-3 times a night she either play around, meow, go to the litter or eat

Waking me up

Now it’ starting to affect me, I really need an uninterrupted night of sleep

Do you guys think I can start locking her in the living room ? It’s where she spend most of the day

She has food, litter, huge sofa, toys, lot of windows

My only concern is her meowing non stop ?

I think, long term, that would be the best setup for both

I just need to figure out how to do it properly

Thanks all

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully she won’t meow too much

And I will open the door and let her jump on my bed in the early morning

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She will probably meow the first 3 days of maybe more but once she sees that it doesnt get a reaction she will stop. My older cat was used to being fed at 4 or 5 am by his previous owner and used to jump on the bed and meow at me at that time because it worked on her (my Mom!) but after 3-5 days of getting no reaction (except for maybe being locked out of the bedroom) he realized he needed to wait for me to get up to get his food :p

I saw you said you will let him in in the morning- thats ok but If he is meowing in the morning and then you let him in he will not stop meowing in the future because it worked!

I have a kitten right now too and she makes noise like you described, but I just drown it out because I like them cuddling on the bed too much and grew up with cat noises :p She likes to race all around my apartment and play with my other cat. Im glad they have each other to take out boredom with when Im asleep and away.

Alternatively, you could run a fan for white noise and then you may not even notice the kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I loved having her in my bedroom

Cause when she is quiet and just lay on the mattress and cuddle is amazing

But having her in the bedroom make me anxious cause she had some issues with the litter and with the food so I kind of sleep with one eye open to check if everything is fine with her food/litter

And this doesn’t allow me to sleep or wake up very easily at every small noise

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would lock her out of the room for now. When she is a few months older you can try to have her in your room again and train her to be quiet. When she starts playing or being too loud you first tell her to get down or quiet down and if she continues you put her out of the room. If you do this consistently she will learn that the only way to be in your room is to be quiet.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girls were 4 and 5 months old when we adopted them. They do not sleep with me. Perhaps it's because it has been that way ever since adoption there has never been a problem with it. They do not meow in the middle of the night and they do not scratch at the door and never have. At times they will sleep in my son's room but only when they choose to. They mostly sleep in the living room either on the couch or on one of the various beds and perches. So my suggestion is that once it becomes routine for your kitty I'm sure it will be fine.