How To Deal With Cat's Biting Behaviour?

Yoddleman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6mo cat and for some time, I don't have a clue how to deal with one behaviour of his - sometimes he's walking casually among the people in the house and suddenly an idea to bite pops into his head. And once it does, good riddance telling him to stop.

Example situation: cat is walking somewhere around the sofa where I'm sitting. I pet him a few times, he's still walking near and BAM, suddenly he comes to my hand and starts biting in (and I don't mean a playful "hey whatcha doing there mate" bite; I mean a fully-fledged bite with all the paws around your hand so that if you raise you arm, you'll raise it with the cat dug into it). I drive him away - he'll come back right away. I put him down on the floor - he'll come to my leg and start biting into that. I've tried putting him on the ground and telling him a firm "No!", telling the "no" along with his name, I've tried lightly slapping his tail or paw along with a firm "No!" - to no avail. I slap him, tell him "No!", put him away, he lays his ears flat along his head to the back and (sometimes with a meow or loud inhale, sometimes without making a sound) attacks the nearest thing, be it my leg, arm, hand or whatever, and bites it to the blood.

How am I supposed to react, then? The only thing I've found to be working so far is to put him in the bathroom and close the door or in his carrier and wait till he cools down cause with the whole: his bite->my slap and "No!"->his next attack shtick we could probably be "dancing" till the morning comes and nothing would come out of it (apart from my body looking like I just fought a shark and a bear simultaneously and his paw being sore from the slaps...) so it's not really the way to go. What do you suggest?

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kinda sounds like pent up energy to me. He's probably wrapping himself around your arm and doing what I call the bunny kick or bicycling. Do you have toys for him or spend time playing with him? I don't know the proper name for them but they make toys for cats to wrestle with. I searched cat wrestling toys and found several. When he gets in his mood try redirecting his aggression to the toy. I would not pop him or as you put it slap him with your hand. This could be making the problem worse. A firm no is ok. I know people don't say to use a squirt bottle on a cat but I would think it would be better than using your hand in this case. Best option is to tire him out and redirect that energy.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with sabian. I might add to watch his body language when you pet him. Some cats get wound up when you pet them.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with sabian. I might add to watch his body language when you pet him. Some cats get wound up when you pet them.
I agree with that too. I had a cat that would run over to be petted but you had to be careful how you petted her. She would haul off and bite you. I could tell when she was about to do it and eventually figured out how to rub her to keep her from doing that. I would have to warn friends when they came over and petted her. I would watch as they petted her and could see her get that look on her face. I would tell them, she's getting ready to bite you! They would say no she's not. I would just say ok, keep petting her and you'll learn the hard way. Some of them did!...lol

shyzahkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat likes to bite when he plays, but he doesn't constantly attack like that. I would try distracting him with a long reaching toy as others suggested. When my cat when get too rough with biting (I used to be covered in marks on hands and arms), I would rub citrus juice/inside of an orange on my fingers, or vinegar. Taught him a lesson. It kinda sucks to always have on hand, but it's a harmless fix. I don't want to use hot sauce or something that could burn his tongue.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My male cat likes to bite when he plays, but he doesn't constantly attack like that. I would try distracting him with a long reaching toy as others suggested. When my cat when get too rough with biting (I used to be covered in marks on hands and arms), I would rub citrus juice/inside of an orange on my fingers, or vinegar. Taught him a lesson. It kinda sucks to always have on hand, but it's a harmless fix. I don't want to use hot sauce or something that could burn his tongue.
Never thought about citrus or vinegar to get them to stop. I wonder if disciplining with their hand is not compounding the problem.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:at the lemon juice .... it beats my kitty bowling method.... which by the way I only did once when our semi feral full on attacked me. (He bit me hard enough to draw blood and all 4 claws dug into my arm.) After that we kinda had a I'll ignore you/you'll ignore me relationship for a couple of months. Then we built our relationship back up. I do watch his body language though. If he gives me a little nip, I give him a little/light two finger tap on his head. However since then he has been gentler with me. I have no idea why he suddenly attacked me like that but he only did it the one time. In your case I would suggest carrying a kick-able toy & a small squirt bottle with you at all times. If he attacks you, you squirt him and chase him away. In the mean time try playing with him more to drain his energy. Hopefully you will only need the squirt bottle for a week or two. Hopefully you will learn his body language well enough to see him getting ready to bite you & you can toss a toy and get him to attack that instead. A small beanie baby with 2-4 yards of ribbon tied securely to it might work to. That way you can toss it and then drag it/have it move like live prey. It might be worth trying if he doesn't take instantly to a kickaroo. :) Also you can try a penny can instead of a squirt bottle if you like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yoddleman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I've tried redirecting his energy to his toys in the past days and honestly, I can't say that fixes the problem. When he started biting, I would carry or lead him to the nearest room that has his toys in it and I'd either play with him with the rod toys or toss him his plush mouse - while it _did_ end up in him changing his interest for a brief moment, as soon as I left the room (or stopped playing/slowed down), he would immediately run back to find me and started biting with audible "meows" as if he was preparing each attack again.

Any other things I may try? Apart from the toys and the squirt bottle? Or should I stick with the toys but incorporate some different technique?