How to deal with a 7yr old that acts 16

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to add that his behavior might be completely age-appropriate (you didn't go into details).

Say things to him to give him something to live up to, if you don't do this already. Something like, "You're such a nice kid, I want everyone to know the real you," or "I'm so surprised to see you doing/saying that," or "I'm sure you didn't realize it, but that hurt my feelings." Or whatever, start with the positive.

Don't say, "What's wrong with you?" I've done that a few times and it doesn't help things at all!

And, good luck!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would agree with the advice to get him evaluated physically. Also, was he a problem child when littler than this? Is there a change in behavior? Is he just spoiled? (Sorry, had to ask b/c giving in when kids are very small only lead to big problems as they age.)

He made need an emotional eval also, but start with the pede.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bush7105

I was wondering if anyone had a 7 yr old that acted like they were already a teen? How do you deal with the every day drama?
Originally Posted by Bush7105

But I like the feather stick idea maybe I should try it
He is just being a brat
I am not sure if it is because he gets up at 6 am for the bus he goes to bed at eight if I sent him to bed earlier I do not believe it would be fair to him. He is just mouthy and he has a bad temper. He also is still throwing tantrums and it gets hard at times. (only so much one person can take ). I guess i should have let you know I was talking about my son not my cat huh (brain fart) sorry
Well, I guess you can't say "I'm gonna call your Uncle Jamie!!"

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how are things for him at school? I know that my grandson puts up with teasing & other misbehaviors from the kids who have their own problems at home (dads in prison for gang-related killings; in foster care, etc) not to mention the drama-queen girls who love to torment the boys knowing that the boys can't really retaliate
When my grandson was in 2nd grade, I was a volunteer & some of those girls were MASTER MANIPULATORS - they were so sneaky at provoking the boys, and invariably the boys would get the blame for reacting

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

how are things for him at school? I know that my grandson puts up with teasing & other misbehaviors from the kids who have their own problems at home (dads in prison for gang-related killings; in foster care, etc) not to mention the drama-queen girls who love to torment the boys knowing that the boys can't really retaliate
When my grandson was in 2nd grade, I was a volunteer & some of those girls were MASTER MANIPULATORS - they were so sneaky at provoking the boys, and invariably the boys would get the blame for reacting
Exactly what I was going to say!! You should talk with his teacher. My daughter started the same thing at the same age and after having a talk with her teacher, I realized what was going on! She had an overbearing teacher and a few cruel kids in her class.
And when I say overbearing, I really mean cruel. One of those teachers that would jerk them out of line by their arms and sling them around and belittle them in front of the rest of the class. I saw it first hand.