How to clean my cat?

moayad albluwe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello people, can anyone tell me how can i clean my cat, she is dirty but she doesn't like water, so how to clean her?
Can anyone please help as I'm a cat noob without any experience about cats..
Help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wondered the answer to this question as well.  Luckily I don't need the answer right now, but I am the type who likes to be "armed" with answers to problems that can come up.  I do know that "Dawn" liquid dish soap is involved, but how do you get your cat to be receptive to the physical procedure of a bath without getting cut to shreds, if your cat is so inclined.  Scary.

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If a cat was really dirty, I'd just fill the bathtub with warm water and dip it in a few times up to the neck. I would not use Dawn dish soap, which sounds like a recipe for skin irritation. Once the cat is dry it will do the finishing touches itself. Good luck.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does not sound so bad, thanks, will store that one away for hopefully, (Never will need to use) but now know file in the mind.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really avoid giving my cat a bath if at all possible. Wiping her down with a damp cloth usually does the trick if needed.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 longhaired cats who occasionally need a bath. I do that in the stall shower rather than the tub. It's much easier on all of us. 

For in between baths or if there are any "litterbox hitchhikers" I use these:

Safe for dogs, cats, puppies and kittens. They are geared towards the "southern hemisphere" but can be used on other areas. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moayad albluwe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to bath my cat as she keeps getting outside and she comes back dirty, and as she likes hugs it's hard to do that with all the dirt over her, so i want to clean her..
She has some kind of oil drops that she probably got from walking under a car, and some dry stick thing that feels like some juice (probably a bully kid just sprayed her with some juice), and some kind of soft dirt that a wet cloth can clean, but the other two needs water, and her long hair makes it harder..
Once i put her in the sink and wanted to give her a bath, once i opened the water, water started flying everywhere and some meowing got launched.. in some parts of the seconds, i just found my self wet and water splashes everywhere and the cat is at the other end of the house...
I'm a totally cat noob, i never owned a cat before, so now i want to clean my cat, and later on I'll have to clean her kittens also (she has 4 kittens), so i really need help.

moayad albluwe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies i don't know how to mention so i just quoted the replies (sorry in case if this is wrong)
If a cat was really dirty, I'd just fill the bathtub with warm water and dip it in a few times up to the neck. I would not use Dawn dish soap, which sounds like a recipe for skin irritation. Once the cat is dry it will do the finishing touches itself. Good luck.
I don't have a bathtub, i have a showerbox instead, and i bought her a baby shampoo to use on her as it is the most skin friendly, but it's useless for now as i cant let her get under the water.

I would really avoid giving my cat a bath if at all possible. Wiping her down with a damp cloth usually does the trick if needed.
The damp cloth works on lite dirt, but she has some dirt that went deeply in her fur, and it's sticky in the case of the juice that someone sprayed on her... so she needs water for this job, but i don't know how.

I have 2 longhaired cats who occasionally need a bath. I do that in the stall shower rather than the tub. It's much easier on all of us. 

For in between baths or if there are any "litterbox hitchhikers" I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Petkin-Tushie-Wipes-100-Count-Pack/dp/B001F0RCDC/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1460724406&sr=8-5&keywords=cat+wipes

Safe for dogs, cats, puppies and kittens. They are geared towards the "southern hemisphere" but can be used on other areas. 
lite dirt is never a problem i just use a wet cloth for it and she doesn't mind that, but i need to give her a bath and remove all this deep dirtiness away from her, So do you recommend me to put her in the showerbox and open the water, she'll go crazy but can such thing harm her, and is it safe to sit in the showerbox with her and use the shampoo on her. My cat hates water a lot and this seems because she was abused with water spraying before i met her and took her in..

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for your replies i don't know how to mention so i just quoted the replies (sorry in case if this is wrong)
I don't have a bathtub, i have a showerbox instead, and i bought her a baby shampoo to use on her as it is the most skin friendly, but it's useless for now as i cant let her get under the water.
The damp cloth works on lite dirt, but she has some dirt that went deeply in her fur, and it's sticky in the case of the juice that someone sprayed on her... so she needs water for this job, but i don't know how.
lite dirt is never a problem i just use a wet cloth for it and she doesn't mind that, but i need to give her a bath and remove all this deep dirtiness away from her, So do you recommend me to put her in the showerbox and open the water, she'll go crazy but can such thing harm her, and is it safe to sit in the showerbox with her and use the shampoo on her. My cat hates water a lot and this seems because she was abused with water spraying before i met her and took her in..
When I bathe mine in the shower, there is a small seat in there. I put a wet towel on it so they won't slip. This helps a lot. They know they cannot get out of the shower so they "accept" it. Before I take them in, the water is on with the hand held shower head. The water is warm, not hot. I keep the water away from their heads and try to get them done as quickly as possible. I use shampoo and conditioner that are safe for cats. the conditioner is for the long hair. you might not need it. Once they are done, I wrap them in a big, soft towel with only their head sticking out like a kitty burrito. They like this. I dry them as best as as I can with the towel and if they allow it with a hair dryer on low/cool. then they are released and given lots of praise and some treats for being good - or semi good in Lily's case.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't use any shampoo for people on your cat. Even those for sensitive skin can have ingredients that are toxic to cats.

If your cat was abused, I really would not recommend putting her under water, or turning the water on and putting her in the shower. It's traumatic. Maybe you can get a dry shampoo or do an area at a time using wet cloths.

Also, please consider transitioning your cats to fully inside. It's not safe for them outside, as you can see with her going under cars and being treated poorly by other people. None of the cats should be allowed out if they are not fixed. Otherwise you will have lots more kittens - and soon.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If needed, don't be afraid to use the Dawn dish liquid on your cat.  Remember, this is what rescuers use to remove oil from wild animals and birds of all types following oil spills.  It is proven safe for animals, and kills fleas, as well.   You do not, however, want to wash your cat too often, as it strips the natural oil from the coat.  The exception to this rule is hairless/semi-hairless cats, who may need bathing as often as once a week.

Make sure that the water you use is tepid, not actively warm.  Cats are sensitive to warm water, and what is comfortable to us may be too hot to them.   Wet well, but do not get water in the eyes or ears, try to avoid the head.  Rinse VERY well.  Although Dawn is safe for washing, you do NOT want to leave soap residue on the cat.  Even with cat shampoos, this can cause irritation.

I know that you hate upsetting your cat, but most of them grow accustomed fairly quickly.  Most.  I gave up on the cat I have currently after a bath resulted in stitches for me, but she is the first and only one I've ever had this issue with.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I want to bath my cat as she keeps getting outside and she comes back dirty, and as she likes hugs it's hard to do that with all the dirt over her, so i want to clean her..
She has some kind of oil drops that she probably got from walking under a car, and some dry stick thing that feels like some juice (probably a bully kid just sprayed her with some juice), and some kind of soft dirt that a wet cloth can clean, but the other two needs water, and her long hair makes it harder..
Once i put her in the sink and wanted to give her a bath, once i opened the water, water started flying everywhere and some meowing got launched.. in some parts of the seconds, i just found my self wet and water splashes everywhere and the cat is at the other end of the house...
I'm a totally cat noob, i never owned a cat before, so now i want to clean my cat, and later on I'll have to clean her kittens also (she has 4 kittens), so i really need help.
when you bath the cat=often the noise of the water hissing out of the faucet scares them more-for me-I use the kitchen sink. I put an old rug in the sink for them to sink claws on and run the water so it doesn't make a lot of noise-OR I fill tons of bowls of water before and wet them by using old mittens=I wear mittens-soak in bowl of water-and rub them down with wet mittens. This works really well. then add the cat shampoo and try to lather but not move the fur in the opposite direction that it grows=for long hair=-helps stop tangles. Then I slowly pour the water on them using a measuring cup where I scoop the water from the bowls of water. This really works well. sometimes I can run the faucet after awhile but normally if its my old kitty Floey she wont stay and scratches and bites.

Floey gets washed in the bathtub with 4 bowls of water. I use an old winter coat and mittens=-she claws and bites-she gets oily fur on her back-so I only wash that part of her-I dip the mittens in a bowl of warm water and wet the fur then soap then rinse-she has a 5 minute window=I can bath her but once 5 minutes is up=all heck breaks loose. She goes to the groomers 3 times a year but no bath-just a fur clipping-she has gotten better about being touched on her body-before she used to claw anyone who touched her back-old injuries left claw marks down her back-so now its 13-14 years since I have had her-she has come a LONG way=lately I touch her back feet=normally that results in an instant claw. But lately she tolerates it-but she still hates her front feet touched and is instant biting.

Honeybee gets washed in the kitchen sink with the rug under her feet=she actually doesn't mind baths-she LOVES the warm water on her. She meows when I lather her up. But once the warm water is hitting her she just meows and tries to run away after a few minutes-she allows water but only 5 minutes.

Each kitty is different=I try to have everything ready before I grab cat.

towels=many!

shampoo

more towels

wear sweatshirt to protect from CLAWS.

remember that the noises scare them more than the water actually hitting them. Youtube is a great place for finding videos but I have yet to find anyone who does my method. Some day I will have to record and upload my method.

Also don't spend a long time=try to keep short but rinse soap well.

moayad albluwe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your replies..

Kat0121 Kat0121 ,thanks for sharing your experience. Doesn't she just get angry and attack you while bathing her, and does the treat affects on her emotions and make her forget the bath madness?

talkingpeanut talkingpeanut , thanks for your help. cats care products isn't available here, there is dogs shampoo and rabbits shampoo, the newborn human baby shampoo seems to be safe, my cousin have tried it multiple times on his cat and he didn't notice and problems.. the wet cloth method works when i want to clean her head, but it doesn't work on her long fur, thats why i was thinking about giving her a bath. And because she was a feral cat, i don't know about her past, so I'm not sure if she was really abused by water, all i know is she hates water a lot (all cats does that). she is an indoor cat, but she used to run away from the window (she opens the window and run away) every time i leave the house, she comes back again within ten minutes from my arrival time, but this bad behavior she does is why she gets dirty, and I'm unable to stop her from doing that unless i stay 24/7 at home.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ,thanks for your help. i only want to clean the cat from those oil spots and the sticky thing so it's not a routine thing as she does give good care over her own fur, but those hard dirt isn't something she can clean by her own, thats why i want to bath her. And about the temperature of the water, can you tell me how much the temperature should be, as i personally have problems in feeling temperature, so i prefer working on numbers..and yes, upsetting her is what makes this thing hard.

foxxycat foxxycat ,thanks for your help ,Floey seems to have a hard personality, lucky me, my cat doesn't have any problem when i touch her anywhere. getting bitten or clawed in the bathing operation isn't likly to happen but holding her to stay is the hard part, she stays away from me when she see me holding a water hose (even when it's closed), she backs away and leave a safe distance.

She hates water a lot, and I'm finding it hard to force bath her, i was thinking about using a car sponge, which can hold a lot of water, and is soft and won't hurt her, i just want to clean the dirty spots, that doesn't include her head. i don't know what temperature would be the best, and if it is better to use the newborn baby shampoo or dogs shampoo, or should i go and search for the dawn dish washer? And the last question is that if i give her a treat after cleaning her, will that make her feel better and forget what happened (just like in kids, a small snack makes them forget what happened)..

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please consider trying to fix the window and keep it closed. She will get pregnant again or she will get hurt. She also really needs to be fixed even if she's staying inside, for her health

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your replies..

@kat0121 ,thanks for sharing your experience. Doesn't she just get angry and attack you while bathing her, and does the treat affects on her emotions and make her forget the bath madness?

@talkingpeanut , thanks for your help. cats care products isn't available here, there is dogs shampoo and rabbits shampoo, the newborn human baby shampoo seems to be safe, my cousin have tried it multiple times on his cat and he didn't notice and problems.. the wet cloth method works when i want to clean her head, but it doesn't work on her long fur, thats why i was thinking about giving her a bath. And because she was a feral cat, i don't know about her past, so I'm not sure if she was really abused by water, all i know is she hates water a lot (all cats does that). she is an indoor cat, but she used to run away from the window (she opens the window and run away) every time i leave the house, she comes back again within ten minutes from my arrival time, but this bad behavior she does is why she gets dirty, and I'm unable to stop her from doing that unless i stay 24/7 at home.

@Mamanyt1953 ,thanks for your help. i only want to clean the cat from those oil spots and the sticky thing so it's not a routine thing as she does give good care over her own fur, but those hard dirt isn't something she can clean by her own, thats why i want to bath her. And about the temperature of the water, can you tell me how much the temperature should be, as i personally have problems in feeling temperature, so i prefer working on numbers..and yes, upsetting her is what makes this thing hard.

@foxxycat ,thanks for your help ,Floey seems to have a hard personality, lucky me, my cat doesn't have any problem when i touch her anywhere. getting bitten or clawed in the bathing operation isn't likly to happen but holding her to stay is the hard part, she stays away from me when she see me holding a water hose (even when it's closed), she backs away and leave a safe distance.

She hates water a lot, and I'm finding it hard to force bath her, i was thinking about using a car sponge, which can hold a lot of water, and is soft and won't hurt her, i just want to clean the dirty spots, that doesn't include her head. i don't know what temperature would be the best, and if it is better to use the newborn baby shampoo or dogs shampoo, or should i go and search for the dawn dish washer? And the last question is that if i give her a treat after cleaning her, will that make her feel better and forget what happened (just like in kids, a small snack makes them forget what happened)..
They got very upset when I bathed them in the tub but taking them in the stall shower cut down on that by about 90%. They still don't like it but they are much better about it. I try to make it as quick as possible. They get treats and cuddles after.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The water temperature should be about 102F or 39C, which is about the normal temperature of a cat's body.

moayad albluwe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i just went to the pet care shop (they provide pets equipment and accessories, they don't provide any pet services), and i ordered a cat's shampoo, I'll follow the sponge method with warm water and cats shampoo, i think it would work the best as it wouldn't involve any water flow (which seems to freak them out), but I'll have to wait for about a week to get the things that i ordered..
Thankfully It's been 4 days and she haven't left the houseby her own.
And I'm going to get her spayed as soon as i find an affordable vet..
Thanks everyone, I'll tell you the results after i try doing it..

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a great plan. Just be sure to keep her inside until she is spayed. That cuts down on the risk. As you know, kittens are much more expensive than a spay!

moayad albluwe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i managed to clean her and i succeeded. It was hard to make her enter the shower box so i had to bring her a towel to sit on and some food to let her in, i just closed the showerbox door and she knew that she felt in the trap, i brought a bowl filled with warm water and i used the sponge to make the cat body wet, she tried to warn me by biting near my hand, then i used the cat shampoo and cleaned her and used my hands to rub her, then i used the sponge again to remove all the soap and the remaining of the shampoo, and then used a towel to partly dry her and the very hot weather took care of completely drying her very fast, i gave her a treat, and petted her. Now she is fluffy and shiny, ready to see the vet tomorrow.
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So i managed to clean her and i succeeded. It was hard to make her enter the shower box so i had to bring her a towel to sit on and some food to let her in, i just closed the showerbox door and she knew that she felt in the trap, i brought a bowl filled with warm water and i used the sponge to make the cat body wet, she tried to warn me by biting near my hand, then i used the cat shampoo and cleaned her and used my hands to rub her, then i used the sponge again to remove all the soap and the remaining of the shampoo, and then used a towel to partly dry her and the very hot weather took care of completely drying her very fast, i gave her a treat, and petted her. Now she is fluffy and shiny, ready to see the vet tomorrow.
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
Good job!! 

the first time I bathed the girls it was in the bathtub and it was an epic fail. Then i used the stall shower and it was 100% better. Not long after that, I noticed that the girls (both longhaired) were getting what I call "litterbox hitchhikers" and they were having to get tushie baths- sometimes at 1 AM. I decided to get them lion cuts so I made an appointment at a local groomer- the only one around that does cats. 

I took the girls in and they said I could leave and they'd call me when they were ready to be picked up. Despite the fact that I didn't have them very long, I remembered how "well behaved" they were in the bath and decided to just sit in the car in the parking lot "just in case". I let the groomer know that I would be outside. About 20 minutes later, he came out. He said that Sophie was OK. She would not allow them to bathe her but she did allow them to brush her with dry shampoo, clip her claws and do the sanitary shave. 

Then he got to Hurricane Lilith.

She was a terror in there. She would not allow them to do ANYTHING and they wanted to give her back to me exactly the way she came in.  After I pleaded with him to just do the sanitary shave, he agreed to try. Another 20 minutes went by and he came back out. They got the sanitary shave done but it took 3 grown men to do it. 2 to hold her and 1 to do the shave. She scratched him in the process. 

As I was paying, I was advised that they were not welcome to come back. I did give the groomer a generous tip though. I have been bathing and grooming them myself ever since.  I've heard of getting 86'ed from a bar but from a pet groomer? It doesn't sound nearly as cool. 

One last note. Lily has grown a bit since I got her. At the time of the visit to the groomer's she was a few ounces shy of 5 pounds yet she managed to take down 3 grown men. 

Does it surprise anyone that Lily is the alpha in our house? 

Lily- "Lion cut? HA! I'll give you a lion cut right across your face! Come closer!"