How to choose a good vet

zirkel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How to cut to the chase:

I recently moved to a new city and live near a facility that has a 24-hour ER staffed by a vet. They also have 12 vets on staff.

I asked the vets techs at the front desk: "If your cat was sick, which vet would YOU take her to?"

They ALL mentioned the same vet.

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How to cut to the chase:

I recently moved to a new city and live near a facility that has a 24-hour ER staffed by a vet. They also have 12 vets on staff.

I asked the vets techs at the front desk: "If your cat was sick, which vet would YOU take her to?"

They ALL mentioned the same vet.
Oh, smart!

We too found our vet by accident. We took in our kittens (who are former ferals) and went out vet looking. We needed one relatively close-by as we don't have a car, so we either needed to be able to walk there or take a taxi. Anyway, there is one by my husband's office, so we popped by and explained our situation. The first thing he did? Went to his office, scooped up his former feral kitten Pumpkin and handed him to us while he went to get us some worming pills. He then spent about an hour of his own time (it was a Saturday and he was supposed to be closing when we got there) discussing the care of our cats with us.

I have since met all the staff and they are all great. His son is the other vet, and he performed the neutering on our boys. Their office is small and cozy and attached to their house - you just feel like your pets are being treated by people who really love animals. That vibe is important. Our cats - though lovely at home - are not fans of going to the vet and they always deal with them in a manner that is appropriate. I never feel like I am annoying them by bringing in my cats, who are prone to wild behaviour at the vet!

We have an emergency 24-hour vet as well. We haven't had to use them, but we are happy to know that they are there. My friend takes her cats there, and she is happy with them.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we moved it was basically trial and error. I didn't like the first one since they changed doctors on me. I made an appointment with one doctor and they gave me the other which did not impress me since I specifically requested the other one. The second vet was recommended to me by my SIL because she takes her dog to him and he's wonderful with her dog. Unfortunately he seemed frightened to death of Bijou and I had to request that he even check Bijou's ears. He never checked Bijou's teeth at all. So now, I've got his next appointment for the old vet we had where we used to live who, ironically has moved closer to where we live now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the replies i chose a Cat Doctor, the same one that my coworkers recommended. I am getting the babies next week! The vet and i have been emailing back and forth, and she made me feel very comfortable when i ask questions