How to care for a cat after Medial Patella Luxation Surgery

jbgood1000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At 9 months my kitten went lame. At 10 months she had medial patella luxation surgery. Most vets don't do this surgery so you either have to go to an orthopedic pet surgeon or use a traveling surgeon. I used a traveling surgeon. I'm not sure what protocols to follow because the vet won't call me back and did not talk to me following surgery. At one point he called me back (the house vet not the surgeon) but every time I ask a question I get a different answer from different technicians. So far I've been told to crate her for 2 months, then 4 months and that she could put weight on her foot at 2 weeks and another said 4 weeks. Yet another said I could let her out of the crate to walk around the house as long as she didn't jump at 2 weeks. It has now been a month and I let her out to walk a little...she puts partial weight on the leg and limps. Oh...due to covid you have to drop the cat off. She got a two-week check-up and the tech said we don't need to see her again. Every other vet I got quotes from included 3 or 4 follow-up visits. I called back a week later and was told she should get another check-up in 2-3 weeks. I now have a checkup scheduled at week 5. She has "escaped" from me a few times jumping off the ottoman when her breakaway collar was released. I try to take her out of the crate a few times a day to sit next to me and I pet her. Can anyone give advice re: how long she needs to be in a crate and any other protocols? My other kitten wants to play with her and of course, I have to push him away. Poor guy doesn't understand. Thank you!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The below link may offer some support. It depends what procedure was preformed and the individual surgeon. You should of been given written instructions from the surgeon on the after care. Double check your paperwork and make sure it isn't there.

I would try emailing the surgeon and ask for aftercare instructions. In the meantime, I would not be letting your cat roam about freely or let him jump or play. Until you know for sure, keep him crated.
Surgical Correction of Patellar Luxation in Cats | Today's Veterinary Practice

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 9 months my kitten went lame. At 10 months she had medial patella luxation surgery. Most vets don't do this surgery so you either have to go to an orthopedic pet surgeon or use a traveling surgeon. I used a traveling surgeon. I'm not sure what protocols to follow because the vet won't call me back and did not talk to me following surgery. At one point he called me back (the house vet not the surgeon) but every time I ask a question I get a different answer from different technicians. So far I've been told to crate her for 2 months, then 4 months and that she could put weight on her foot at 2 weeks and another said 4 weeks. Yet another said I could let her out of the crate to walk around the house as long as she didn't jump at 2 weeks. It has now been a month and I let her out to walk a little...she puts partial weight on the leg and limps. Oh...due to covid you have to drop the cat off. She got a two-week check-up and the tech said we don't need to see her again. Every other vet I got quotes from included 3 or 4 follow-up visits. I called back a week later and was told she should get another check-up in 2-3 weeks. I now have a checkup scheduled at week 5. She has "escaped" from me a few times jumping off the ottoman when her breakaway collar was released. I try to take her out of the crate a few times a day to sit next to me and I pet her. Can anyone give advice re: how long she needs to be in a crate and any other protocols? My other kitten wants to play with her and of course, I have to push him away. Poor guy doesn't understand. Thank you!
I would try to call the surgeon directly. I hope you get some answers. When Sybil was about 6 months she had the same thing in both legs.A Dvm surgeon tried to convince me she would be deformed without surgery to both legs. The woman I adopted her from had a cat who recovered on her own as she grew. I did not do the surgery and she was fine, within 2-3 months it was gone. She was hands down the most amazingly athletic of my furries, she flew around often straight up like a helicopter😹 Another reason I did not do it was also that they would not use gas to sedate her and she had asthma.