How To Capture A Injured Feral/stray?

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I personally have two cats, live in an apartment area, and when I first moved over I saw a fully grown cat wondering around, he/she ran away from me and I asked the landlord about it. And they say it's a local stray that just wonders the area.

Well over the next few months I would see it every once in a while, but two days ago I saw it and it's back was bloody. He/she looked at me, and then ran away. I didn't make any attempt to follow, but her condition did look bad enough that I should capture it and bring to my local vet.

Thoughts on this? And if you think it's a good idea anyways to persuade him/her to come to me? I know smelly food is one way, but my area is kind of large so I'm not sure if a cat's smell is that good? I heard some people use litter to attract their cats home, but would that work for a stray cat?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, crouch down to make yourself look nonthreatening and call to the cat offering a can of tuna. If it is feral it will run away anyway, if it is a stray it will be wary, but may actually sit around and come towards you. You could back off a little bit and see if taht would entice her closer. It would at least get you close enough to see what is going on. If she is able to run, that is good. Cats can be very injured and come back. she may have been trying to get warm and got caught in a fan blade. Poor baby, she is extremely lucky you are paying attention to her, thank you from the bottom of my heart. May you be blessed for your kindness!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, crouch down to make yourself look nonthreatening and call to the cat offering a can of tuna. If it is feral it will run away anyway, if it is a stray it will be wary, but may actually sit around and come towards you. You could back off a little bit and see if taht would entice her closer. It would at least get you close enough to see what is going on. If she is able to run, that is good. Cats can be very injured and come back. she may have been trying to get warm and got caught in a fan blade. Poor baby, she is extremely lucky you are paying attention to her, thank you from the bottom of my heart. May you be blessed for your kindness!
Yeah probably will ask my vet for advice. Can they smell a can of tuna? I know cats have pretty good smell, but I do live in a large area with lots of apartments. I did notice small prints literally right next to my door yesterday, but I think they were deer prints..

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have an extremely good sense of smell. If you leave a can out by your door and watch you might get her used to coming up. Of course you might get many others too, but if she is hungry she'll come. Ferals won't come that close. You might just walk around often and see if you can spot her. Carry some treats or kibble in a bag in your pocket to leave for her if you do spot her. Please keep us posted!

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats have an extremely good sense of smell. If you leave a can out by your door and watch you might get her used to coming up. Of course you might get many others too, but if she is hungry she'll come. Ferals won't come that close. You might just walk around often and see if you can spot her. Carry some treats or kibble in a bag in your pocket to leave for her if you do spot her. Please keep us posted!
Okay thanks. Really wish I got her last night, since I live in Michigan and we just got 3-6 inches of snow... Really worried now, where would cats normally live? Although I live in an apartment area, right next to it is pretty much an open field.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know for sure, I have heated huts out and half are occupied. I feel really sorry for them, no matter what it has to be miserable. Having a full stomach helps though, they need food to generate heat. And they don't have to be out looking for food if they get it from me. Hopefully she has some kind of shelter somewhere.....

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know for sure, I have heated huts out and half are occupied. I feel really sorry for them, no matter what it has to be miserable. Having a full stomach helps though, they need food to generate heat. And they don't have to be out looking for food if they get it from me. Hopefully she has some kind of shelter somewhere.....
Yeah honestly amazed how feral and stray cats survive the winters. And just surviving in general.