How to calm him down regarding food?

gothy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I came home to find my 7-8lb tom cat (Witchkin
) has managed to gnaw his way into a clip-top Tupperware container and single-pawedly eat nearly 5lb of dried food in the space between 6pm last night and 3pm today. Plus what the timed feeder handed out at 10am (two cats' dinner)... Leaving not a crumb.

(To anyone worried) Thankfully it seems he hasn't managed to do himself any serious damage, he has passed most of it out nearly undigested into "the palace". He is not in pain when I gently press his bulging tummy, and seems very relaxed. I'm keeping a close eye on the idiot, but he seems okay. Just podged and comatose from gorging. He's pushed his ribs out so far they're visible.

What worries me is that he has such an issue with food, I got him as a very sick kitten at the end of September last year..
Since then (after treatment) he has always had a weighed meal at 9am on the dot, with Lucina-kin and one at 6pm on the dot, then supper at about 10pm (literally a scattering of biscuits to stop them following me to bed). He has grown into a big strapping cat, but is still like a bag of elbows. He's also incredibly stupid and badly physically coordinated we think he just didn't get enough something when he was a baby.
I don't mind because he is an incredibly cuddly friend. he's even taken baths with me, laying on his back on my tummy, his head poking out of the water. I would never give him up.

But he has always been absolutely feral-berserk about food. And I'm starting to see it could be dangerous. He will snatch and run, steal, bite, growl, wail, cry like a human baby (disturbingly accurately) and literally walk across an active oven ring to get food (he arrived with burned feet, and has done it once since living here). Once his face is in something edible, he's clamped to it.
He takes anything edible if I'm not fast enough to stop him (or a visitor is lax). Bread, wheat, oranges, soup, garlic (raw or cooked), cola, Stilton, prawn crackers, curry, chili.. Anything. Except thankfully, sweet things.

When he first came, he was so badly behaved concerning anyone else eating, I had to put him in the cat carrier with a blanket until we were done eating. After about a month I had him calm enough to be loose (but he would frantically beg and steal), by two months he learned that even sniffing my plate was a bad idea whilst I was touching it. The same courtesy is only extended to anyone else (cat or human) as long as I'm in the room. My boyfriend hates cat-sitting because Witchkin goes berserk again. If I let go of a plate or put it down, there's no stopping Witchkin.. Which is understandable, it's "abandoned" food.

I have tried leaving food down for grazing, with and without a dispenser to see if it would calm him down. My other cat is a nibbler, and loves to take one or two biscuits and skip back to her bed. Witchkin though, just stuffed himself until he was having to cram loose food back into his mouth with his paw, panting and upset that he couldn't take more in. Sleep, expel the unnatural amount of food, repeat. After 3 days I couldn't watch him do it any longer and went back to mealtimes. I've tried several times but the result is the same.

Recently he has started savaging plastic cartons, packaging and tubs on the off-chance they contain food. This weekend, he gutted an empty milk carton, foil layer and all because I left it poking out of the bin bag.

I just worry he is going to seriously injure himself, if and when I let him out again... If he gets into someone's rubbish bags, or God forbid, their house through a cat flap, he could cause such problems.

Tomorrow I'm calling the local animal rescue centre to see if there's anyone who can offer advice on dealing with him. I know cats steal, beg and misbehave, but he takes it so such an extreme that it's hard to explain properly. And after today I really worry. If it had been a 5KG bag of food, he could have killed himself trying.

Has anyone here ever calmed their cat down? I feel like I've failed somehow, but in every other aspect he's the perfect companion, and very well trained.

zendora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a puzzling situation. My first instinct screams "go talk to a vet", since these kinds of behaviors can be more of a physical/chemical imbalance than a mental obsession. He's quite capable of inadvertently killing himself, and I think that might warrant a full-spectrum vet check.

I've seen gluttonous cats before, but this guy takes the cake! (I couldn't resist
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know it's very irresponsible to have a cat without having a job, but I do. I have a network of friends and family (and the Cats protection league) covering his expenses for jabs, essential treatments etc. because he was better off with me than with the original "owner". He's got a clean bill of health, thankfully. he's had tests for Flu and a few other things due to rampant gum mouth problems as a young 'un.

Unfortunately due to financial limits, I can't take him to the vet for "just" advice, but he should go in for boosters fairly soon, and I can ask then.
I'm going to call the CPL and local animal rescue to see if anyone has experience with calming down rescue cats.
He has got better slightly, but he doesn't seem to have a reflex that tells him he's full (and I've never seen him vomit in all these months) or any kind of rational approach when left alone.

My suspicion is that he was mostly left to fend for himself amongst the other cats (and dogs) in the house as a youngster and picked up a strong scavenger instinct. The "owner" told me he was eating the grown cats' food at 6 weeks and couldn't cope, but nobody was stopping him. He was riddled with pestilence when he came (after a week of gentle food and trying to cope I had to take him to the vet) and couldn't handle solids without them violently passing straight through.
I'd expect what I now know was an 8 week (I was lied to about him being 12 weeks) kitten to be bouncy and inquisitive. He was limp, cuddly and fatigued. All he wanted was to crawl inside my jacket and sleep against me, for two weeks. After that he very slowly built up energy, but only started to run at about 4 months.

He is retarded in the genuine sense of the word: runs into walls, doesn't know how to wash, chew food or jump onto things correctly. He sucks wallpaper and licks the carpet. He also has webbed feet and two tone eyes, so I call him my little Innsmouth kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

Have you seen this forum?: http://www.thecatsite.com/Cats/Cat_Behavior.html

Maybe there's something in there that might help??
I shall have a look through.

He seems fine today, thankfully. Been giving very small portions of wet to try and move any remaining biscuits through. What a little monster.