How to bathe a cat????

ann phoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two solid white kittens, 6 months old, but once they started growing I could tell they are a Maine Coon mix. Their mother is a white short hair cat.  Their hair is typical Maine Coon length, and the  kittens are solid white.

I check or clip their nails every week to make sure they are short enough.  This one I can handle.

My boy has an affinity for jumping into the plant dirt and gets dirty hind paws that need a good scrubbing.  So, when they start looking too dirty I have to bathe them.

The girl is pretty normal size for a cat, but the boy is HUGE for his age.  And he HATES the water, so when I am thru I feel as if I just boxed with Mike Tyson as he fights me.  It's more than exhausting.

My questions are:

1.  I can use baby shampoo with no scent to bathe them since the kitten shampoo doesn't even get the dirt off no matter how hard I scrub with a brush on his hind legs?

2.  And does anyone know how groomers bathe a cat that fights so much?  Do they strap them down or is there some other trick they use to get them to stand still and not fight to get out?  I've read everything on the net I could find, done everything according to the book but nothing is calming them. 

I hate to start having to use a groomer as they are so expensive $$$$...

PS  The cat we had for almost 18 years was not happy to bathe either, but he was only 14 pounds grown.  This new boy is already bigger than that at 6 months!

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not sure that baby shampoo would do any better than the kitten shampoo.  Hard scrubbing with a brush probably won't make him very happy either.  Is it just the pads you are concerned about?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO cats don't really need bathing unless they're really, really covered in sticky mud, poo... well, you get the idea. Have you tried pet wipes (or unscented alcohol free baby wipes)? They're a good and gentle way to remove dirt stuck in paws. Since your cats seem to be okay about their paws being trimmed, you will have no problem with the pet wipes. 

Anyway, to answer your question - when I absolutely need to bathe cats, I use cat shampoo, a big pail of warm water and a large plastic mug for pouring and rinsing. I kneel behind the cat, hold his chest, lift him a bit so he is standing on his hind legs, then gently pour water avoiding wetting his head and ears. Some cats will just meow but others ran away and none have fought me. But since we are inside the bathroom, I catch the "runners" and continue bathing. When it's done, we are both drenched (and the bathroom floor) but glad it is over. 
 Towel dry only. 

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Pet wipes are a great idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ann phoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are totally white so any dirt shows, and it doesn't help that the girl loves to hide under the bed probably with dust bunnies and the boy...oh, that boy!..just love to jump into the dirt where the indoor plants are; so, the dirt is on his hind legs more than the top of his paws.

I just cannot get them clean with kitty shampoo.  Maybe it's that brand?

My boy fights like Mike Tyson, and he is so big that it really is hard already at 6 months and 14 lbs.  I cannot imagine how hard it will be in a few years.  The girl is normal kitten size and easier by far.  He cries and carries on like I'm killing him, and he tries to get out of the water all the time without stopping.  My top was totally wet, too.  He literally fights me, and I have to use all my strength (I'm average size woman).  It's very draining.

My girl is more mellow but whines thru it.

rainbo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried covering the plants dirt with black fish tank gravel?  That's what I did with my indoor plant, it doesn't harm the plant, lets the water through, and should keep your boy from getting to the potting soil and getting dirty.

I found these instructions for bathing a cat....

How To Give a Cat a Bath Joke
Instructions on how to wash your toilet
1. Put both lids up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water.
2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.
3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid.
4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the loud noises, the cat is actually enjoying this.
5. Flush three or four times. This provides a "power-wash" and rinse".
6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the here and the front door.
7. Standing behind as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.
8. The cat will rocket out out, streak through the room and run outside where he will dry himself off.
9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.
Sincerely,
The Dog

on a more serious note, do you scruff him?  The one time that I had to wash my cat, he got out and got grease, I guess it was from a car, on his back, I scruffed him while I washed and rinsed with the other hand, he didn't like it and meowed pitifully but he didn't struggle. 

ann phoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know nothing about fish, so I didn't even know about the black gravel.  I definitely will check into that one.

However, I have done whatever I could think of to keep him off the plants.  I put chili pepper flakes on top hoping the smell would stop him and it worked...until they lost their effectiveness after a 6 week period or so.  He really loves the dirt right after I water the plant cause the smell is stronger.  I can tell cause I catch him sniffing around during that period.  He's incorrigible about the dirt...sigh.

southlake

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We bathe our crew every few months or so. The best tips I have are to line the bottom of the sink or tub with something like a folded up towel or bathmat, and to not run the water since the running water sound seems to freak them out.The bathmat seems to help them feel more stable, and that keeps them from struggling as much.  Luckily, mine are mainly meowers, not fighters. 

ann phoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have gathered the sound of running water scares them, unfortunately, it's a necessity when trying to get the soap off.

But I never thought of lining the sink with a towel--I definitely will try this one!!!  Much thanks for that!!!!

southlake

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can also try having a bucket of clean water next to you, so that it's at the ready for rinsing. We normally fill the sink a few inches, turn the water off, and insert cat. Then use a cup to get them wet, lather them up, and scoop up water from the sink to rinse them. Drain and repeat for the next cat.  If we have to turn the water on while they're in the sink, we turn it on low so that it doesn't make much noise and they're generally okay. Other than our dear Abby, who will yowl the entire time no matter what we do.