How Stop Kitten From Playing So Rough?

Sasha&Rocky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is getting so crazy.He has stopped climbing up my leg but still will run up and down my body when I am in my recliner. I have a big cat tree for him which he loves. But I am covered in claw marks. He is the worse when I let him out of his room in the morning(he is only around 9 weeks so gets put in the spare room at night).I got a couple of those pole toys to fling around but its hard first thing in the morning. Any toys that would get rid of that excess kitten energy? Preferably something he can do while Im trying to wake up and drinking my coffee.
I wish my dogs would play with him but they dont.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There are great interactive toys - both the kind where the kitten can try to catch a toy on a dangling or straight up spring mechanism, tracks where they can try to get a ball that rolls through it and battery operated toys that move for the kitten to chase and try to catch. Any of these may keep his attention while you drink your coffee.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's still pretty young. In fact, current recommendations are to keep kittens with their mom and siblings till they are 12 weeks old, so they have time to learn kitty manners. Since you've adopted him younger, you now have to take on the role of "mom". Here's an article that explains how to Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States

Also, now's the time to start trimming his nails. Even just the very tip will take away that razor sharpness. Just be careful not to clip too much, or you'll get into the quick (the red part) which will hurt him and cause bleeding. Here's an article on How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws