How soon after going off prozac can cat have l-tryptophan?

coconutkris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have a cat who has been on Prozac for about 4 months for inappropriate peeing. (I had tried everything over the years and finally caved after yet another ruined couch). The Prozac did work, but I really have wanted to get him off it.

I have been slowly weaning him off over the last 2 months by giving him his dose every other day, then every three days, then every five days.

It has been 7 days now since his last dose. Things were going smoothly but I just moved him back into our normal home and he has been meowing and pawing at me all night. He is more anxious than i have ever seen hi and he has never been overly stressed in this home before.

I don't want to give him prozac as we have made such progress...

But I haven't slept all night (it is a studio so no separation)

I have a calming cat supplement that has l-tryptophan and ashwaganda which I bought for my other cat. I am thinking about giving him that, but am worried about serotonin syndrome.

Can't seem to find any info online..does anyone know, if it has been a week since any Prozac was given, is it safe for him to have l-tryptophan?

Thanks!!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You would need to call your vet and ask for recommendations.  Only a vet can answer this question.  Weaning off medications can take awhile and needs to be monitored and/or supervised by a vet.  Just give them a call and ask for their help.