How Should I Tame A Feral Kitten?

Myhairisabird999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For a few months now I have been feeding a feral mother cat and her five kittens.

A week ago the mother cat and four of the kittens have stopped coming. I assume that some one called a shelter and picked them up while one kitten escaped. Either that, or the mother and her kittens abandoned the runt.

Anyway, the runt kitten has been very distraught and constantly meows and kneads to comfort herself. She has been taking interest in my older male cat who doesn t mind her so at least she isn t too lonely.

However, I'm planning on taking her in, getting her spayed, shots, etc, and I don t know if I should just continue feeding and playing with her until she gets used to me more or follow these videos online that say you should just catch them and then make them feel loved.

I'm afraid that it will take too long for her to get used to me and I don't like the fact that she is a tiny runt that could get into all kinds of trouble if she continues to sleep outside alone. She doesn't leave my deck but I m still afraid that something could kill her. I live in an area where there are raccoons, skunks, and coyotes that have killed chickens of mine in the past. ( she is MUCH smaller than a chicken )

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would go ahead and trap her to bring her in. The last thing you want is for her to disappear on you. If you can’t grab her physically (and I wouldn’t try more than once) you will need to borrow a trap from a local rescue or you can try putting her food in a crate/Carrier then closing the door while she’s eating.

Since you have a male cat she likes she should take her cues from him and will likely adjust quickly. Kittens are resilient and the sooner you get her in the quicker she will adjust. Both because you will have started and because she won’t get caught in the scared of things cycle.