how should I handle this situation

newcat19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat is an outdoors cat, although been inside all winter.. doesn't like the cold.

There's another cat who has been stalking my cat.  I think he's a male, mine is fixed &

female.  He's bigger than my cat also & completely unafraid.

During the cold days of winter he would sit at my front or backdoor & look through the window for

my cat.  One time I let him in to see if the cats would get along, but I was holding him, then he

bolted for my cat & chased my cat through the house.

Since that attack I've been shoeing him away and occassionally spraying him with water to

try & keep him away.  But he keeps coming back.

My cat is alittle afraid to go out at night now (which is when he shows up) and she always

is looking through the window alittle paranoid about the other cat.

I'm not exactly sure if this cat is coming to pick on my cat, or is this an unfixed male cat.

Either way is there anything I can do?

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have two options:

1. Stop letting your cat outside. It's better for her health in the long run anyway, or

2. Take that tomcat to a TNR organization in your area or just a local vet to have him fixed. This MIGHT stop the stalking and aggressiveness, but isn't a failsafe.

I would do both.

Welcome to TCS and good luck!! :vibes::vibes:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also would not let my cat outdoors.  Cats are territorial and he probably sees her as an intruder on his range.  She may be female but she is desexed and a female that does not come in heat is of no use to him... She is competition for food and other stuff on what he sees as his range.  I would do a TNR (Trap- Neuter-Release) too that way he is not producing kittens.  Most vets will do them for cheap or sometimes free.  Not always but sometimes.  Anyway, it could curb his attacks and stalking of your cat but no guarantees because she will still be viewed as an intruder.  So just keep her indoors and make it impossible for him to get to her.  Also when you release him, you could do so in a different area.  Just don't call animal control or a shelter.  He is more than likely feral and would be put down immediately. 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is your cat? Has she always been an outdoor cat? Is the "stalker" a newcomer in the area? Are you leaving food outside for him?

My cats are outdoor and fixed. Their "territory" is rarely visited by other cats. I don't believe that being sterilized affects territorial issues. Having the male TNR is a good idea. However, since he seems to have settled in your area, he most probably wants to live with you. Are you willing to adopt him? I am saying this because it happened to me more than once. 

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have two options:
1. Stop letting your cat outside. It's better for her health in the long run anyway, or
2. Take that tomcat to a TNR organization in your area or just a local vet to have him fixed. This MIGHT stop the stalking and aggressiveness, but isn't a failsafe.
I would do both.
Welcome to TCS and good luck!!

Also, do you have any farms in your area? You may be able to take the aggressive male away from your area if you live in an area with access to farms. I know my friends who lives on farms would sometimes advertise for stray cats so they could turn them into barn cats. I'm not suggesting just dropping the cat off in farmland and hoping for the best; there are farmers who actively look for pest-controlling cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newcat19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a townhouse subdivision.

This is no wild cat, he belongs to someone.

My cat was here first lol

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a townhouse subdivision.

This is no wild cat, he belongs to someone.

My cat was here first lol
Oh, I didn't realize this was a cat with an owner. In that case, go out and buy a cheap collar. Write up a little note explaining your situation, or simply requesting the other cat's owner call you, and wrap that around the collar. The owner will notice a strange collar, read the note, and you two may be able to work something out. One of the main things would be seeing if this cat is neutered, and if not, seeing if the owner is willing to neuter in order to stop the cat from acting aggressive and impregnating stray females. There's not much you can do yourself without first trying to discuss it with the other cat's owner. If that fails, then you're stuck not letting your cat outside, or you're risking your cat's health with the more aggressive cat lurking outside.

misssweetkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Planet Slamon (salmon and sleep) (I travel there a
Originally Posted by speakhandsforme/img/forum/go_quote.gif

You have two options:

I would do both.

Welcome to TCS and good luck!!

I agree with you, @speakhandsforme.