How should a cat's breath smell?

snowkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just really curious here, is there a certain way for cat's breath to smell? And how would you define bad breath in a cat? Would diet play a part? My cats breath smells but it's not offensive to me, however my girlfriend says they all have bad breath and she can't stand it. I've bought dental treats and dental gel and have given them to all 4 cats but there hasn't been much of a difference.

cgillo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The times my cats mouths have smelled they have needed dental work. Each time they had an infection. I am not saying your cats do but I would check with a vet visit just to be sure.

dangotkmn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats' breath normally smells worse when eating commercial food. Brushing their teeth everyday could deodorize their breath, too.   

Last edited by a moderator:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Like @Cgillo  my experience has been that if my cat's breath has had an odour it has been a sign of dental / health problems.  Cat breath should not normally smell, although if they have just eaten it may smell a little of what they have had.

Breath can smell if your cat has dental / gum problems and bacteria are building up in their mouth.  Sometimes the problem is visible with reddened lines on the gums around the tooth edges and / or yellow tartar, but sometimes it isn't and the problems are in the roots below the gum line.  You can try brushing with something called an enzyme toothpaste but it is always going to be best to get a vet to check things before you do this in case it is a problem below the gum line.

It can also be due to digestive problems and again your vet should be able to advise on this.

I learned the hard way because I didn't realize Mouse's 'meaty' breath was a sign of his oral problems and by the time I got him to the vet he needed a lot of care and was in pain. If funds are an issues -  The sooner you pick up something like gum problems the lower your vet bill is likely to be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 of them are one raw and have bones to chew on and 1 is on canned foods. I think I'll start brushing their teeth with the enzyme toothpaste, just saw that the pet shop I order stuff from carries a few brands. I'll also make appointments for them to have a checkup just in case. Dental scaling at the vets here cost a lot of money so I hope it's not too serious.

Thank you all so much for the replies!

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hope all goes well and you see an improvement.  Also that your vet thinks they are healthy.  I haven't had experience of a cat with digestive problems so don't know what that smells like but Mouse's breath was kind of stale meat sort of smell and quite strong.  His mouth is fresh as a daisy now he's on the right food for him and toothpaste used regularly. Much nicer when he decides to groom me!