How Serious is this?

profluent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

My girlfriend and I just got a kitten a couple of days ago and her anus appears to be protruding. She also strains a bit when defecating.

No other symptoms seem to be present in terms of energy level, eating, drinking, playfulness, etc.

We have booked an appointment with our vet, but nothing was available until the end of next week. Can somebody tell us how serious this is? Do we need to bite the bullet and take her to an emergency clinic?

Thanks in advance for the help!

20210909_205212.jpg

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Possibly worms? I think that's what causes this! I could be wrong, so someone will have to correct me if I am. I would try to get an earlier apt if at all possible.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Straining to poop is constipation. Add plain pumpkin to her diet and do not feed her any kibbles or treats. She needs to get in sooner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profluent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your responses! I appreciate it!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I don't think that the kitten's anus is prolapsed, but it still could be painful. You can apply a warm, damp cloth and something like coconut oil, petroleum jelly, or olive oil. The vet will probably treat her for worms and give you something for her bottom if it needs it. However, she is little if she were mine I would try for an earlier appointment. If you need to go to the ER, this should not be a huge bill as you are not looking at or for some underlying condition more than likely.