How serious is this injury? WARNING - graphic picture

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
 if he takes a turn for the worse then I'll take him regardless of what the owners say.  If I need to, I'll take the cat in myself with or without their blessings. 
You rock! Thanks for looking out for this poor guy. Now if only there were more great people like you on this planet....    

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh your welcome:) Hope everything goes well. I know how it is with neighbors not taking the same level of care for a pet that you would. In fact that is how I got one of my kitties. A good antibiotic cream applied liberally a few times a day, and keeping the wound clean overall, should go a long way to helping it heal. Cat skin heals amazingly fast, that is part of the reason they abscess so easily. The top layer will heal too fast trapping bacteria underneath and boom, an abscess forms. In fact, for some of the poorer clients that couldn't afford the proper surgery, we would recommend keeping a wound open and not allowing a scab to form. This allows the area underneath the skin to heal first and prevent the trapping of bacteria. Doesn't always help, but most of the time it does. From the pic, it looks like all the tissue is healthy pink and that is what you want for granulation tissue to form. If you notice anything smelly, or yellow or green discharge that would mean infection is setting in and oral antibiotics plus cleaning at the vet may be needed. Hopefully in a week or so, that wound will be much smaller. Keep us posted, it is so kind what you are doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

york1623

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well the cat seems to be doing just fine.  The swelling has subsided and the wound has closed.  It looks like he has a scab that's still dangling but I figured I'd let that come off on its own.

To end the topic on a good note, here's one of his favorite things to do when he comes over to our house. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

york1623

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again for all of your help everyone.  The cat and I appreciate it!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful outcome! Thank you for your caring and attention, this could have easily turned into a bad/sad situation, you just never can tell.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The final outcome just plain touched me in words I can't express. I'm so happy that he is doing so much better after seeing the original photo.

Many blessings to you, york1623, for keeping such a diligent and watchful eye for any worsening of his wound. He looks so peaceful and at home in your home...hint, hint.

Jules