How old were you when you got your first job?

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not counting babysitting, which I started doing when I was twelve (I even took a babysitting course and learned first aid), my first job was when I was 14. It was in a coffee and donut shop, I worked after school late into the evenings and brought my homework with me to do during the slow times (of which there were many -- the business did not do well, seeing as how it was in direct competition with Tim Hortons and Country Style, which both had better coffee, better donuts and better service). I had one person come in to use our bathroom and he left poo all over the walls, which I had to clean up; another time, a man came in towards the end of my shift (so, late at night) and tried to kill another man who had apparently murdered his brother or friend and had just been released from prison. I had to go to court as a witness in his trial. I wasn't sad when the business closed and I lost my job: minimum wage just isn't worth that kind of BS.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I had paper routes and did babysitting before, but I guess my first real job was doing office help the summer I was 14. Then I got a job at KFC when I was 15 1/2, and worked there for close to 3 years! I loved it because the people I worked with were awesome. It was also in a shopping mall so we gave/received many discounts lol!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I was 14 when I started working as a short-order cook at a swim club, but I'd done some babysitting for about two years prior to that.

janb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my first job at 16. It was to work in a department store which was to open a few months later. So i had a break from leaving school to actually starting the job, but at least i knew i had one.
I was only there 9 months , then they made half of us redundant.
I got another job straight away though at Comet.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 15. I started working with my Grandpa at the local dealership, as he was the parts manager. I learned at a very young age what good work ethic was. I worked in the parts department - waiting on customers, doing their bills, I also shipped out truck parts (Schwans Trucks) all over the world, along with being the secretarial assistant to the ladies in the front office, and I also helped out in the service department. I worked there til I was 20! Thanks to that job - I got a lot of great experience in the car dealership world - and it got me my last job!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 15 and worked in a Exotic pet store that sold among other things, monkeys. My job, which was not exotic, included cleaning the cages of these monkeys who insisted on mooning me every time they saw me coming.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 12 I was a trap girl at the local shooting club. I worked there till I was 16 and then on and off for a couple years along with other jobs. I wish I could do that as a living. I was so much more relaxing.