How old were you when you got your first cat?

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's right Sicy, I'm one of the few that don't have one. I guess it's a bit hard to relate why, as I'm sure you all think it's unthinkable to wait until later to get one. I did visit with my youngest sister's kitty today though. She only lives two blocks away.

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hydroaxe--that's okay. I own two kitties, but they haven't lived with me for over a year because my apartment won't allow them. I visit my friends' kitties and talk to mine over the phone as often as possible and I visit here daily.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Sicycat
Here's me at age 9 with our first cat Sugar. She was a poly

That's a cute photo of you two! Sugar looks a bit camera shy though.

Originally posted by TTMom
Hydroaxe--that's okay. I own two kitties, but they haven't lived with me for over a year because my apartment won't allow them. I visit my friends' kitties and talk to mine over the phone as often as possible and I visit here daily.
I've never heard of anyone talking to their kitties on the phone. Do they talk back much, or do they mostly listen? Do they meow different when "talking" on the phone?

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my gosh, this is the cutest thread!!!!!!! I hated cats when I was little, mainly because I got bitten by one which I deserved, it wouldn't play with me like a (sorry to say), a dog. This is why I support teaching children about animals and how to treat each one differently. Anyway, my dog, Smokie later died and I never took another. Many years later I took in this small one from a family of 20, I posted that story on another thread, then had to (sadly and regrettably) give her back due to her unruly behavior.

Three years later, a co-worker sent out an e-mail that her father found two kitties underneath a house that burned down. I called my hubby and told him that I wanted to adopt them both, he said to start off with one then after my whining agreed that I could take both. But when I asked my co-worker, the girl was already taken, so I called her friend and told her to keep the male for me. I took my bestfriend with me and saw him and fell in love with him!!!
Now I'm totally in love with cats and really can't see myself living without any. But I don't have any pics of when he was young
I lost them during our move. I named him JellyBelly after having him for 15 minutes, my bestfriend and neighbor were trying to help me with a name and he was so cute running on the floor and his belly would drag across the floor!!! So I named JellyBelly, which also happens to be my favorite brand of jellybeans
yumm yumm

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by TTMom
Yknow what Hydroaxe and TTMom, I understand. I am 30 and finally have my "own" cat. I've lived on my own for about 5 years. I had a cat Sasha that wasnt really mine but a friends, but I loved her more than he did
and used to go visit her every single day.

I've now lived in this apartment for 3 years and only a few months ago by a MIRICLE the landlord changed the policy and started allowing small pets. You couldnt imagine how I felt.

TTMom I send a prayer that your landlord will do the same

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Hydroaxe
That's a cute photo of you two! Sugar looks a bit camera shy though.
From what I remember, Sugar was very very shy. She was abused. My mom brought her home skinny and missing fur on her back. She did open up eventually though
She ended up passing at around 10 years of age I believe. She had a battle with diabetes for years. She was sweet though.

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Sicycat. I pray for that too. I miss them so much sometimes.

Hydroaxe--they sometimes meow back and sometimes they just start purring. My Mom puts the phone down to their ears and I just talk to them like they're right in front of me. Toes usually purrs and Tailer tries to talk back. I'll deliberately leave messages on their answering machine too and both kitties run in full speed and sit on the table next to the answering machine while I'm talking. It helps to have them in a place where they're loved and well taken care of. My Tailer has really developed a relationship with my Dad (she hates most men) and follows him around the house and yard talking to him (she used to follow me around my house and talk to me too). Toes is huge and hogs the bed.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
-lots of sweet stories of cats that have come and gone in this thread. They are very interesting and it's fascinating to read about things like cats talking back on the phone.

mamakat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first cats were when I was about 6 or 7. We got 2 kitties, Pumpkin and Princess. (orange and black, respectively) They were like most other kitties, but we werent familiar with that or how to handle them. So they were a bit rough and aggressive from the start. In addition to that, my sister had severe allergies to them so we had to lock them up. It was pretty sad. We kept them for a few weeks, locked in the bathroom and only getting a few visits from us every day. I think they bonded totally with each other and didnt care for people, because I recall the last few times of trying to go in and play with them and getting quite beaten up!
I still have a bad scar on one leg from Princess.

Anyway that kind of put fear of cats in my head for a long time. Mean cats scare me. I love friendly cats and kitties though!
I finally got my own 2 cats, today actually. We picked them up from the shelter earlier this evening. Their names are Morgan and Abby, and theyre the sweetest babies! (1 and 3 years old). So Im a very proud cat owner now!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new cats!

Here I am with Pandora circa 1977?

and just for grins our crew circa 1982 (the 4th animal from the left is a Boston Terrier dog)
: