How old were they really?

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend of a friend gave me two orphaned kittens, still on the bottle. She said they were four weeks old. I had readied a warm box and had kitten formula on hand, but when I got these kittens, they were definitely not four weeks old. That was June 10th. It has been one month. Based on the photos provided, how old does anyone estimate they actually were? I'm personally thinking 1-2 weeks.

This is the day I recieved them:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Had they eyes open?   If so, I would guess on 3 weeks.   Anyways, less then a full months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Their eyes were only partly opened. Ears still closed. Eyes were not able to dilate or contract yet. They didn't walk, and barely wriggled around. I think I estimated their age to be nineteen days when I first got them.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is going to take some good care for these babies. Someone else will be along to help answer your questions. Looking at the pictures, they look too young to be away from their mother.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If their eyes were not fully open and the ears not up, they were probably less than a week old, which would put them at 30 to 35 days old today. And they do not look any older than that in your pictures!

Any idea what happened to their mom? Were they the only kittens in the litter?

Are they eating soft food yet or starting to use the litter box?

They look very healthy and sweet. You have apparently done a fantastic job with them! :)

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Momcat was hit by a car. I believe they were the only kittens in the litter. Both have started to eat soft food, but the gray male is still very much attached to the bottle. The little girl is so much more independent. They really are the sweetest babies, though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, poor mama cat. They sure sound like they are thriving! I don't blame baby girl for loving her bottle! Bless her heart!

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any tips on getting them to lap water? I worry about their hydration levels. They seem a bit unwilling to really begin weaning. I've diluted their formula a little extra, so they're getting enough water, but I would really like to get them to lap.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they should be getting fluids from the wet food and bottle.  You can give water between feeding.  Are you mixing the wet food w/KMR?

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they get kmr mixed with the food, and they can (sort of) lap kmr. I suppose it's really got to do with them deciding they're thirsty enough to try water.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, little Khaos! So cute! I'll have to check out the more recent posts to see what she's been doing with him water-wise.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They should be fine with moisture from the wet food and KMR for now until they figure out how to lap water, which they will. They can also stay on their bottles plus wet food for a few more weeks. Kittens with their moms begin to eat mush but continue to nurse for a while, so they get what they need.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep. I don't think they plan on abandoning the bottle for a while anyway!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww such sweet babies, love the little boys spotted belly. That's sad about momma kitty. Sounds like you are doing a good job! 

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww they are so precious! Have you named them yet?

I'm so sorry to hear their mamma was hit. Thank you for taking care of them!! Will you keep them?

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i used gerber baby meat when first weaning my foster babies and they loved it! start off with a little on your finger then mix a little into their wet food with kmr. they will make a mess but they will eat!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i used gerber baby meat when first weaning my foster babies and they loved it! start off with a little on your finger then mix a little into their wet food with kmr. they will make a mess but they will eat!
this is a great idea.  Just make sure you use the Stage 1 Gerber.  The baby food for older children may have onion and garlic included in the recipe and these are bad for cats.  You can read the ingredients on the jar to determine if it is safe.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I used Gerber turkey on my kittens too. Worked like a charm! :)