How old or big should a kitten be before it can be with a full grown cat?

spicechi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a one year old cat who is quite large and a 7 week old kitten. The cat tries to play with the kitten. I watch them and I believe they would be fine but I'm concerned the cat might hurt the kitten inadvertently. They are not together very much, a few minuets on and off every day.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends on the cat, I think. You can just supervise them when they're together, as it sounds like you are doing, until you feel confident the cat won't hurt the kitten.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

It depends on the cat, I think. You can just supervise them when they're together, as it sounds like you are doing, until you feel confident the cat won't hurt the kitten.
agree with @momto3cats

just supervise and separate them if you feel like things are getting to rough.

the 7 week old, although very young, will have his/her own ways to communicate with your cat on whats okay and what's not okay (this includes hissing and yowling, so don't be alarmed)  you have to let them test each other out and test the waters as well, of course, after doing a proper and slow cat - to cat intro first. and your cat, will also teach the 7 week old whats okay and not okay (acceptable play, teaching social cat behavior, etc)

I hope it works out for all of you!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have a one year old cat who is quite large and a 7 week old kitten. The cat tries to play with the kitten. I watch them and I believe they would be fine but I'm concerned the cat might hurt the kitten inadvertently. They are not together very much, a few minuets on and off every day.
There is no rule about this, its up to the cats, but its unlikely the adult will hurt the kitten, especially if you are observing "nice" behavior.  If the adult cat is being good with the kitten then try doing longer supervised interactions until you are satisfied that they are safe together!