How old is your home?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our house was built in 1932. I love it.
It's a 2 bedroom bungalow. We discovered hardwood floors under the nasty carpet after we closed, so we refinished the floors in the previously carpeted areas.

One of our neighbors said it was one of the first 3 houses built on the block.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Our current home was built in 1972, but our first apartment was in a home that was built in the 1800's, with the original staircase, stained glass windows, etc. It had a really cool widow's walk as well. It was only a few houses away from the home Lizzie Borden lived in after she was acquitted in the murder of her parents.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house was built in 1952. I love the plaster walls and hardwood floors. The wood floors and all of the woodwork throughout the house is red oak. It also has the old cut glass door knobs on the interior doors. I did a bathroom remodel when I bought it 18 years ago, but it really needs a kitchen remodel...all the cupboards are circa 1950's (thank goodness they're wood and not the cheesy metal from that era!)

megra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My present home was built in the 60s I think but I moved from a place built in 1879. Much of the housing around here was built in the 1870 and 1880s. I can remember once being at a lecture given by a young American woman on the history of Chicago. One of the climaxes of her lecture was talking about the Great Fire of Chicago and saying with a thrill in her voice that this happened way back in 1871. She was very confused when she got no reaction at all. She didn't understand that dates like these are of little consequence in Britain (and, of course, in much of Europe) when we have churches going back twelve hundred years, when more than half our housing stock predates 1930 and people here frequently buy and live in properties 250 to over 400 years old. All vintage is relative I guess.

If I had the choice I'd like a good, custom-built, ultra-modern design or something at least 300 years old, Tudor or Early Stuart for preference. The 18th, 19th and the 20th centuries (with a few notable exceptions) leave me pretty much cold when it comes to domestic architecture.

klaidman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am actually living in my family's house. This house was built by an ancestor. Not too sure of his name. I forget it. Well he first settled in the area in 1785. 223 years old. Over time with each new generation the house has been passed down to the eldest son along with the family farms and business. Each new heir repairing any damages, updating all electricals and adding on to the house where needed. I am the first heiress as my father had no biological sons. So I got the house and all the farms. my 1/2 brother got the business as he is far better dealing with business than i am.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our house was built Jan, 2007 so it's not real exciting (modular picked off a lot). It's nice, but nothing to write home about.

Now, the house I grew up in was built right after the civil war (1871 I think, but don't hold me to that). It was beautiful! Full basement and 3 additional stories, hardwood floors on all 3 floors, hand carved banisters, carved molding around the doors, antique crystal chandliers. It even had carved wooded doors that slide into the wall to separate the dining room from the front "parlour". It broke my heart to sell it after mom died but it was also gas heat and the heating bills were outrageous!

It was so cool some of the things we found though. For example, my parents decided to strip the walls (plaster) in the dinning and living room in 1987. Under layers of paint, we found signatures of previous owners dated 1877. And, when I was cleaning out the house for sale, in the attic there is a little storage room with a cubby hole I didn't know about. In there, we found an old parasol and letters dated in the 1920's.