How old is too much older to date? Help!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say go out with him and get to know him. Dating him isn't commiting to marrying him.
You will know in time if the age gap poses a problem... If it does, then you can break it off before it gets too serious.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Julie, I meant no disrespect in my post, I was just giving MO
None taken.

Wow... I think I got the answer I needed. I wasn't expecting so many positive feedbacks. I suppose in all the different little details that have to be just so for two people to work together, age is maybe the less important one.

Heidi, thank you... I do find that the guys my own age seem younger than me, and in a bad way.

I will be sure and let you all know how it goes in a couple weeks.

I really appreciate all of your responses, even if I haven't anything to say about them all. The little wheels in my head are a-churning.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As others have stated: If you like him, age shouldn't matter.
If you have a problem with the age difference, then don't date him.

When I was 25 I dated someone who was 40...it only last 2 weeks because we didn't have enough in common.

I finally settled that the max age I would date is 10 years older (no age limit for younger
). I chose that as my brother is 10 years older and anyone over that doesn't fall in the sibling-age catagory.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

BF is 9 years older than my, and we started dating when I was 19 - nearly 8 years ago now.

Just take it slow and make up your own mind about him. The only thing that I would offer as advice to pay attention to is that at 34 he is likely to be a lot more settled - not just in his ways, but into his own life path. At 21 you are usually still considering various paths and whatnot. Be careful that you don't unintentional sign up to his life script if you realise you really do care for him - it's hard - but important - to keep your eyes open to what YOU really want to do at this stage of your life.
Satai is right.

How age does not matter with friends , when it comes to long term datting it can get in a the way and can cause issue. when i was 31 an dating someone taht was 20 we often hit that, she wanted to go out, i wanted to stay home. Things she wanted to do i had already done, and she often would complain that she felt there was nothing she could do for me, take and slow and see how it goes, if you like him and he likes you, it may work out.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is this guy at work who i wouldnt mind dating!!! He is hawt! he doesnt even look like a 34 year old at first i thought he would be 25 or 26, but he has a long time gf and his name is Ben so its a no no!

But i would say if youre confortable go for it!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my mom married my dad she was 21 and he was ummmmmm 51. He was the same age as my grandpa and 2 years older than my grandma. They were married almost 30 before he passed away.

It just depends on the people involved tho