How Old Does A Male Kitten Have To Be To Get Neutered??

SerenaBlackmore98

proud kitty momma <3
Kitten
Purraise
My friend is getting me a kitten for Christmas and I'm just wondering how old he has to be to get him fixed? My apartment only allows fixed cats.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We just had our rescued feral kitten neutered and he was about 5-6 months old which was when the vet recommended it. He started to get more aggressive than normal, being a feral kitten he was expected to be somewhat aggressive but this was more than normal, along with his just starting to spray and show more than normal interest in the younger girl kitten we were given. Less than a week he was less aggressive along with no intensive interest in Noka.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Homer was neutered at 3 months. Looking back, I had my other cats done after 6 months, after they already started to get aggressive, and I think the earlier the better.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
And sometimes it depends on whether the testicles have fully descended. Some vets would wait till both testicles are fully descended so that they can grab both at one go and not miss one else later poor kitty had to go back again under anesthesia to remove the other one.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gizmo was about 2 1/2 months when the shelter had him neutered.

midnightsun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my country both males and females have to be 6 months, assuming you're in the US though it's probably different. It seems to be allowed much earlier there.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In France where I grew up, they also used to say 6 months. In the US, it depends on weight and not on age. Mine were fixed at 8 weeks, but they had to be at least 2 lbs.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has to be 2 pounds and 2 months. Shelters spay/neuter that young because they don't want adopted cats to reproduce. He can be up to 6 months before he starts to show mature cat behaviors or possibly be fertile. It's a personal choice, but I would wait until he's 4-6 months.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many apartments have that rule but never actually check or require confirmation that a pet has been neutered or spayed. So don't worry if your kitten lives in your apartment for a couple of weeks before he is neutered.

Most vets will neuter once the kitten is at least 2 months old and weighs 2 pounds. Other vets prefer to wait until a kitten is older. Talk with the vet you intend to use (never early to start looking for a good vet before your kitten arrives!) about what age he / she recommends the neuter to be done.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In my county it is illegal for any animal to be adopted out unaltered (not even a contract to return for the surgery or refund of a fee, if it is not spayed/neutered it can't go home). All the local shelters and clinics will do 2 pounds for spay and neuter.

I got the boys done at the clinic the moment they hit 2 pounds. They healed super quick and, on males, they are under for so little that the risks are very low. My girl wasn't spayed until she was 7-8 months; she was a malnourished feral and due to past bad experiences I won't do females at clinics. It cost 10 times as much but was worth every penny for a smooth surgery and beautiful healing. My vet (a cat only practice) doesn't spay until 6 months old AND all shots completed two weeks prior to surgery. Rocket though was in the first spot available once her shots were done and she was old enough.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually a landlord who requires spay/neuter will have an age limit. It will say something like "all cats over [4 months or 6 months or whatever] must be altered". So check with your landlord, find out what age it has to be done by, and make sure all your paperwork is in order.