How old are you and how many cats do you have, how long have you owned cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
39, and I've had cats all of my life. I didn't know much about cat nutrition, behaviour, and etc until recent years. It started with my black cat developing an aggressive mouth cancer after using BioSpot and then Grey developing health conditions. I couldn't change what happened with them, but I can make a difference with these cats.
what is bio spot? And what was greys condition, could it have been avoided?

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know. I only know that we always do what we can for the furkids. We always fed Friskies cans. Always. My mom did and so does my sister. Usually it's the pate, but some of the cats enjoy the shreds and the bits and such, so we accommodate them. Not often, but we do.

Hydrox had crystals. Twice. The first time I had no idea what was going on; I just knew he needed help. Took him to the vet and he was cathed for about a week. At that point, they recommended changing his canned food to something lower in ash. Well, he wouldn't eat it. He would starve before he'd eat that food. I felt so sorry for him. What good does the food do if he won't eat it? I changed him back to Friskies and he was fine. That's when I started giving him bottled spring water, too. Nobody told me to do that; I just figured it couldn't hurt. He was fine for years. And then one morning, I ran out of bottled water. I figured one tiny little 1/4 cup of regular wouldn't hurt. And I was wrong. He immediately blocked back up. This time, though, I knew what it was, and immediately took him down to the vet. He was cathed, but not for long because I got it right away. He never had regular water after that. None of our cats do.....they all drink bottled spring water. (I don't offer distilled because distilled doesn't have any minerals in it and I feel that they need some of the minerals in the spring water. I should add, too, that spring water is exactly that; it is not municipal water that has been bottled. I've always been very careful about that.)

And despite what our vet said about him needing only the low-ash food, he lived to be over 20 years old on Friskies, all kinds of the Friskies; he wasn't restricted to just pate because he loved all the cans. The only time he had any bladder problems was on well water. I'm not saying it definitely was the water in Hydrox's case, but yeah, I'd be more inclined to think of the water as the culprit, simply because he was OK on spring water. But I don't know that for sure. 

The vet knows that we give only bottled spring water to the cats. He's OK with it....I mean, he has to be at this point. Our cats are all fine. And I know that they've talked to some of their other patients about the spring water, too. They're not mandating bottled spring water, but they do suggest it.

Our cats all have blood work done annually....there's no diabetes with any of them. It's never been an issue. *knock on wood*

When we first got Mollipop as a wee kitten, I wanted to do the "right thing" by her and start her off on a good kitten food. I tried Blue Buffalo. Nope, she wouldn't eat it. I tried Taste of the Wild. Nope. I tried all the so-called premium kitten foods. And she refused them all. Sure, she'd eat them for one meal or so. But that was it. She wouldn't go back a second time. And she needed to eat. So I put her on Friskies, too. She was fine. So was Tabby when she came into the house as a kitten. It was Friskies all the way.

I know this sounds like an ad for Friskies Buffet. It's not. I'm simply telling you what we've done for the past almost 30 years now with our cats. They get canned and they get dry. It's the best we can do. The three youngsters get an annual physical; the oldsters get check-ups every six months, except for BooBoo who now goes to the vet every 4 months for seasonal allergy problems. Once they get through kittenhood, they get no vaccines other than rabies, and the only reason they get the rabies shot is because it's the law in Pennsylvania.

None of our cats go outside. I used to take hem out on leashes and harnesses, but they don't get flea stuff, so they stay indoors. I don't believe in cats being outside at all. Again, that's my decision and that's how I feel. Others may feel differently and that's OK, too. 
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I payout so much for the expensive foods thinking it will make them live longer without illnesses but you are proving that theory wrong. I wonder if I should just feed friskies. I cannot afford all grain free cans but I rotate wellness Core and merrick with natural balance and innova which have brown rice with hugh quality ingredients. I have been feeding 80 wet 20 dry (orijen) expensive stuff. I wonder if it is all baloney! Again, thanks for sharing. [emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what is bio spot? And what was greys condition, could it have been avoided?
BioSpot is an over the counter flea medication.

Grey's condition first was diabetes, then a thymoma, then CRF.  The diabetes and CRF could have been avoided if she had been on a wet diet with less carbs

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
BioSpot is an over the counter flea medication.

Grey's condition first was diabetes, then a thymoma, then CRF.  The diabetes and CRF could have been avoided if she had been on a wet diet with less carbs
Oh how sad how can they sell these OTC flea meds, did she lick it off? Do you think even a little grain free dry food is dangerous in an 80 wet 20 dry diet?

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how sad how can they sell these OTC flea meds, did she lick it off? Do you think even a little grain free dry food is dangerous in an 80 wet 20 dry diet?
Yes, the black cat not only licked her own but Grey's too.  We live and learn.

To answer your question, I think a mostly wet diet is the right thing to do by cats.  Be it Friskies canned, Fancy Feast canned, EVO...whatever wet diet is complete and your cats do well on.  A little dry...if it is needed to put weight on, or for kittens and the owner is gone for 14 hours a day, or put in a ball so the kitty will play with it and let humans sleep, etc., then I can see why it is used.  For me, I will do what I have to to avoid dry kibble.  I don't believe that one needs to "supplement" a canned diet with dry, other than the reasons I mentioned.  But for a dietary reason, there isn't one.  Are you doing wrong with 20% dry?  Well, it depends on the cat.  Is the cat doing well on this diet?  Does the cat need it?  Is it harming the cat?  If the cat is fat, stop the kibble. If the cat needs lbs and you're away from the cat long periods, give a little kibble.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
32 Got a stray as a family pet when I was 14 or so and from there...it grew.  I now have...to many:)  All fixed and healthy.  Oldest I ever had was 15.  Currently 2 are 11(brother/sister)  We lost 2 to the pet food recalls.  They would be 16 now(not related just got 2 kittens a few months apart). I am a firm believer low carb wet is better then anything else.  Be it Friskies or a high end brand.  At this point it is not financially an option to go all wet.

I also had an issue with an over the counter product.  Want to say it was Gentle Touch but not sure it was late 90's or so.  I learned then and there to break doses of Advantage after THAT.  No one got sick besides puking for a day but SCARY.  

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the black cat not only licked her own but Grey's too.  We live and learn.

To answer your question, I think a mostly wet diet is the right thing to do by cats.  Be it Friskies canned, Fancy Feast canned, EVO...whatever wet diet is complete and your cats do well on.  A little dry...if it is needed to put weight on, or for kittens and the owner is gone for 14 hours a day, or put in a ball so the kitty will play with it and let humans sleep, etc., then I can see why it is used.  For me, I will do what I have to to avoid dry kibble.  I don't believe that one needs to "supplement" a canned diet with dry, other than the reasons I mentioned.  But for a dietary reason, there isn't one.  Are you doing wrong with 20% dry?  Well, it depends on the cat.  Is the cat doing well on this diet?  Does the cat need it?  Is it harming the cat?  If the cat is fat, stop the kibble. If the cat needs lbs and you're away from the cat long periods, give a little kibble.
Thanks for the advice

that guy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am 48 and we always had pets when I was growing up and just went with it. We had a few cats when I was really young but they passed on for different reasons. My mother thought they were great and all but served no real purpose as such in the city so we ended up with a string of large dogs over the years. We never locked our house and were never broken into and kids and dogs work out well (7 boys, no girls). When I moved out I bought a calico from a pet store and they cat was really close to feral. A customer from work had kittens so I got my first black cat then and he was a really cool cat. He used to get beat on by the female but one day he got bigger and as soon as this happened the calico booked. The black one went out one day and never came back, I looked everywhere for him but found no signs. He was such a cool cat he was probably picked up by someone. I can't remember how the next guy found me but he was also really cool and black and he died from urinary track issues when he was just over 3. I didn't have any cats for a few years and then I picked up another calico from the pound which I did not know was not fixed. One day she started to get thick in the middle and she had no fat so I knew what happened. She had 4 kittens, two I found homes for and I kept the pick of the litter and the runt of the litter. One kitten was a calico male with no tail (the father was half white and half black with no tail) and then there was two black females and one black male. I had to put the female down a few years ago just after her 17th birthday because she was littered with cancer. Her brother is still around and he just turned 19 in May and has a few issues but is still happy most of the time.

It has been a real experience watching my last two grow from birth to a ripe old age. The first few were fed crappy hard food until the one that died from urinary issues so when I got my current cats mother I started to feed them Iams hard food because I thought that was better than moist food and better than the crappy hard food. My current cat ate Iams formulas from the time he was a kitten until he was just over 17 when he decided he no longer wanted hard food and switched himself to wet. My current cat Scratchy picked me and no other cat was allowed to hang with me so they had to find other people. I am the one he trusts and the one who can pretty much do anything to him. He has a great personality and all through his life he has been the most low maintenance cat. He was in a fight when he was about 16.5 years old and got a claw sheath stuck in his side which because infected and he needed surgery to remove the claw and clean everything up. His immune system was slammed and he never really got better after this. One thing and then another started to fail and it has been a fight since them to keep him healthy. Pretty much everything I know now I have had to learn to keep this guy going. He is certainly showing his age now but I smile every time I look at him and he is as cool now as he was when he was a kitten.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's not polite to ask a girl her age, but my niece believes me when I say 21

Anyhow. I grew up with rabbits
 who were having the time of their life in the yard, digging tunnels and all, and me standing watch with a broom to chase away the neighborhood cats

So I came to naturally dislike the creatures until much later and a continent away, Rascal showed up hungry and in need of a dry place to sleep... he might be about 9 years old now, and I'm trying to care for him for 8 of them. Then the Rogue got extracted out of my car's engine last summer. As Rascal ignored him, I got Grisou as a playmate, and then Oberon begged to be let in (much needed because one playmate isn't nearly enough for the Rogue). 

The official count is four, but Sassy already sleeps in my garage at night and I'm not going to let her spend another winter outside.

That is if we're not counting any ferals outside looking in.

catlove15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello

i am in my mid 40s, i have nine cats, used to have 10 :( , and i've owned cats now for 10 years. 

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had cats my whole life. The current "colony" consists of:

Felix (doomed individual from the old, and thankfully defunct, Kennel Inn Animal Control)

Davie (stray who showed up at my neighbour's)

Morgenne (former barn kitten)

Minnie May Hopkins (former barn kitten)

Squeek! (was living behind a car dealership)

Nia Maura (daughter of rescued feral cat)

Ramona Riddley (daughter or rescued feral cat)

Sylvia Rose (abandoned by mother on farm)

Dinah (taken to afore-mentioned animal control to be euthanized with seven other feral kittens)

Susan (taken to afore-mentioned animal control to be euthanized with seven other feral kittens)

Thobias (abandoned by mother on farm)

Montgomery (only survivor in litter found in a rowboat on a dairy farm)

April (angry, aggressive cat from current, and much better, animal control. Staff were afraid of her and called her "Regan".)

Dusty Springfield (feral cat from Metro Toronto Zoo. Rescued with her seven kittens)

Oliver passed away one week ago to-day. He had been in stage four renal failure since February. Our oldest cat was The Mighty Quinn, who had been severely neglected by my roommate's brother before we got him at sixteen years of age. He made it almost to eighteen before all his health problems caught up with him. He passed away on the way to the veterinarian.

We currently have five foster kittens livening up the bunch, and four zebra finches.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is. These are the unadoptable ones, for a lot of reasons. April, for instance, cannot be trusted. She's a nice cat mostly, but don't take your eye off her. Mays has one kidney and very poor digestion, Thoby's intestines are not where they should be, Montgomery digests nothing well, Davie is three years older than god, for example, so they stay. They eat good food, they get lots of attention, litter boxes get cleaned at least twice each day, and I have a wonderful veterinarian with a big heart for these guys.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
It is. These are the unadoptable ones, for a lot of reasons. April, for instance, cannot be trusted. She's a nice cat mostly, but don't take your eye off her. Mays has one kidney and very poor digestion, Thoby's intestines are not where they should be, Montgomery digests nothing well, Davie is three years older than god, for example, so they stay. They eat good food, they get lots of attention, litter boxes get cleaned at least twice each day, and I have a wonderful veterinarian with a big heart for these guys.
What do you feed the ones that throw up a lot! One of my former ferals throws up at night. Not all her food because she still poops

Last edited:

catlove15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for asking bonepicker. my cats names are motorhead, rogue, alpha, omega, lancelot, indie, topaz, arthur and merlin. all males except indie and merlin.

winekan died earlier this year from crystals and me not realizing it in time and getting him to the vet. so i've learned and keep a close eye on my others. vet said too much protein was problem and the food i was feeding them, orijen, had too much protein in it, 80 per cent or so, when cats only need 20 per cent. thanks to marketing and ads we think they need more than they do. 

so i have a list of good cat foods, which also applies to dog food, and a list of bad ones. if you want i can post it. 

i'll work on getting some photos up. :)

and great photo of your cat by the way. a real beauty. 

catlove15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
can i just say chromium blues, you rock !!! cats with problems need love too. they're lucky/blessed to have you. and vice versa.

way too many people get rid of their cats when they're too old etc and it's sickening.

just thinking if you have all those inside as house cats, wow, cuz i have nine and they scrap pretty much all day. so a bigger house or a farm where they can go outside would be great. 

catlove15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and i meant to ask what does chromium blues mean? unless you don't want to say which is fine.