How old are you and how many cats do you have, how long have you owned cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for asking bonepicker. my cats names are motorhead, rogue, alpha, omega, lancelot, indie, topaz, arthur and merlin. all males except indie and merlin.
 winekan died earlier this year from crystals and me not realizing it in time and getting him to the vet. so i've learned and keep a close eye on my others. vet said too much protein was problem and the food i was feeding them, orijen, had too much protein in it, 80 per cent or so, when cats only need 20 per cent. thanks to marketing and ads we think they need more than they do. 
so i have a list of good cat foods, which also applies to dog food, and a list of bad ones. if you want i can post it. 
i'll work on getting some photos up. :)
and great photo of your cat by the way. a real beauty. 
Good, can't wait to see food lists and cat photos!![emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]

catlove15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the list i have of good cat foods and bad cat foods is a rather short one cuz it was late at night and the vet had been working a 12 hour day at least. 

the GOOD cat foods, and it goes for dog foods too she said and can be any flavour of these foods, are Go, Now, Iams/Eukanuba, MediCal, which you can only get at the vet's here in Canada, President's Choice and Science Diet.

the CRAP cat foods, and also dog foods and any flavour, are Orijen, Encana, Special Kitty and Whiskas. Crap = gives your cat crystals and has way more protein than they need and hence the crystals.

this is a photo of winekan who i lost to crystals from orijen and my not realizing he was sick and really sick at that. sorry winey. :( :( :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
W
the list i have of good cat foods and bad cat foods is a rather short one cuz it was late at night and the vet had been working a 12 hour day at least. 

the GOOD cat foods, and it goes for dog foods too she said and can be any flavour of these foods, are Go, Now, Iams/Eukanuba, MediCal, which you can only get at the vet's here in Canada, President's Choice and Science Diet.

the CRAP cat foods, and also dog foods and any flavour, are Orijen, Encana, Special Kitty and Whiskas. Crap = gives your cat crystals and has way more protein than they need and hence the crystals.

this is a photo of winekan who i lost to crystals from orijen and my not realizing he was sick and really sick at that. sorry winey. :( :( :(

What a beautiful boy, sorry for your loss. I notice you are in Canada, in the US we are led to believe Iams/Eukanuba is junk and Orijen is the best (if dry can be, I feed wet)

Last edited:

catlove15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
with all the marketing and ads on tv etc, the advertisers and salespeople are trying to convince us that cats need tons of protein and that seafood is their food. 

they do need more protein than dogs as they're obligate carnivores but that doesn't mean 80 per cnet as i was told orijen has. when i told the pet store clerk who i bought the orijen from that it pretty much killed my cat, she didn't look impressed but then it cost and arm and a leg so likely they wouldn't be too happy now that i'm not buying it anymore. but then salespeople always want to sell you the most expensive. 

when i said to the vet i think of chicken, turkey and beef as dog food and seafood as cat food, she said again that's thanks to advertising but chicken turkey and beef is fine for cats and likely what they prefer. which makes sense cuz as wild animals they came from, they would've been stalking and eating land animals not marine ones. :) 

i can see people saying iams/eukanuka isn't good cuz it tends to be sold at vet clinics and so it would and does cost more. my cats aren't too keen on it compared to the go or even meow mix which they love. 

i got some temptations treats for them that was seafood medley or something seafood and when i looked at the ingredients, nothing was anything fish until just about the last ingredient which was salmon oil i believe. weird. but they went crazy for them. 

i think the best wet food for cats is tuna cuz they go crazy for it. except my bengal, who doesnt' like it. weird. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My issue with Iams is who now owns them and I truly think it was a better food in 90's then what it turned into.

I have had 20+cats on Science Diet dry and currently 21 on Friskies or Meow Mix Dry(and 4 on friskies wet ONLY).  I can not STAND the smell of Purina dry food anymore but used to use that too.  Whiskas never went over to well.  

IMO "good" brand is what the cat eats! and does decent on.  If that is store brand then so be it if you have money to spare and cat thrives on one of those why not.  There is never going to be a diet/brand all owners agree on, nor the cats.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends why the cat is throwing up. If it isn't chewing, then slowing it down can help. Royal Canin Oral Sensitive or Digestive Comfort, or Science Diet Oral Care can help because the pieces are large and usually have to be chewed. Smearing canned food on a large dish can slow down a cat that bolts wet food and then throws it up. If the cat has something else going on, then you really have to get to the root of the problem. It could be a digestive sensitivity to an ingredient or ingredients in the food, or the cat could have a health issue that needs to be addressed. Our cat Quinn had a very sensitive tummy. We used to give him a tiny amount of canned food, wait a little while, then give him the rest. For him, that worked.

Chromium Blues? From a Melissa Etheridge song called Chrome Plated Heart. I had it stuck in my head when I signed up here...Oh well!

jd miller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed them Purina cat chow and Iams. My male cat gets soft Friskies in the morning and at midday. My female cat has always had a problem vomiting. I took her in one winter and saved her from freezing to death. I'm sure someone tired of her throwing up and simply threw her out. I have to watch her when she eats because she tends to overdo it and gets sick. Outside of that no problems at all with the food I feed them. Any food with a red dye in it is a sure bet the female gets ill. I don't know why.

flutenotepoet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering how old everyone was recently, too, mostly because I saw some people were a decade younger than me so I wondered if there was anyone my age or older. Fun that there are people of all ages! :)  I am in my early 30's; I currently have one cat that we've had for a couple of years and we have sometimes considered getting another, but weren't sure how well our current cat would do with another one.  

I almost always had a cat or two around while I was a little girl and into my teen years; my dad really liked cats.  He had a Siamese cat that was really loyal to him and she lived the longest.  I think she died when she was about 18.  I'm not sure how many cats we've had but they were mostly domestic housecats and I do remember five of them very clearly.  We had quite a few other pets too.  After I moved out for a bit, I moved back in for a bit, and brought a kitten with me.  I couldn't take him with me when I moved out to get married, so my friend made me a nice rug with a cat on it for my wedding present "so you can have a cat". :)  

And now we have our own cat. :)

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am 37 years old. i got my first apartment at age 18 and also got my first " Sabastian" . I had him for 15 years before he passed. took me about 7 months before i was ready to get vnother. I got a little kitty named seven and he is about 2 1/2 right now. At my last partment the neighbors decided they didnt want their cat anymore and kicked him out of the house in the dead of winter. I took her. Her name in Bandit and she is also about 2 1/2 years old.  recently got married and moved into a new place and hubby and I adopted a little kitty we named him Stark, he is about 8 weeks old. right now i have a total of 3 cats and if i could afford more i would. I have always had a cat since i was 18 and couldnt imagine not having cats. they bring so much joy and happiness into the home.