How Old Are These Kittens?

Atlantadad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like some help trying to determine the approximate age of some abandoned kittens we found.

First, some background. We found these kittens last Saturday, May 6. After spotting them in a nest made of leaves we stayed away and watched for the mother cat. The kittens were coming out of the nest and mewing for her. When it got dark, the temperature dropped, and it started to rain with still no mom we brought the babies inside.
They all had open eyes and were all able to walk around although they looked wobbly. They are now running around and going poop and sometimes pee by themselves. Their ears, however, are still sort of flopped over. They eat well and are purr machines. The jump on each other and seem to want to wrestle. They're licking themselves some and licking our hands as well as lightly chewing on our fingers. Their have tried to climb up my shirt.

They now weigh between 9.2 oz and 10.1 oz.

Can you help? I'd like to know when to introduce a litter box and when to introduce solid food. Thank you.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From description I would guess 4 weeks old. The best for them right now is KMR or another kitten mill replacement and some wet kitten food. I would offer them a mix of mostly KMR with a little bit of wet food. Over the next two weeks or so you can increase the ratio of wet food to KMR until they are eating just wet kitten food. Make sure it is an actual kitten food and with how little they will eat it is worth it to invest in a high quality more expensive food.

Little box they should start using on their own if they aren't needing stimulation. Just make sure it is a non clumping one in case someone decides to taste it. I would avoid any sort of newspaper only because you have problems later with them thinking newspaper is appropriate.

I've had one that age before and that was what we did. For the times we couldn't be in the room we left a stuffed animal for him to sleep with but you have multiple so that is likely less needed.

If you search for Kitten Lady on YouTube there is a woman who specializes in neonatal kitten care and has videos on care of kittens under 8 weeks.

Good luck! And we love photos.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post pictures of them please?

Do they have baby teeth yet?

They sound 3-4 weeks old. Kittens wean best starting at 5 weeks.

Soft foods, such as Fancy Feast Kitten wet food mixed with kitten formula, are great for the transition. So is kitten chow softened with formula. They'll need 6 meals a day.

Introduce a kitten-sized litter box with non-clumping litter when they begin eating solids.

Put them in before and after meals and take a little paw and show them how to dig.

Disposable aluminum pans from the dollar store work great until they get bigger.

Thanks for rescuing them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Atlantadad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the quick replies. I was thinking 3 weeks plus but everything I read says ears should be erect at 3 weeks.
20170508_155229.jpg
20170508_160511.jpg
20170507_160604.jpg

I did buy a stuffed dog that has a little heart that beats that you can put inside it. They nuzzled right into it when I gave it to them.

They do have teeth. I'm not sure if they are just "milk teeth" or are baby teeth. You can definitely feel them when they chew on you.

We are feeding them KMR. We bought some kitten food and non-clumping clay litter already but didn't want to jump in too early.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They do look more in the 3-4 range. The potty on their own though is more 4 weeks. Early bloomers?

It is never too early to introduce litter if they are going on their own. Kittens gain habits early so you don't want them to get used to blanketsas appropriate spots.

The food part they are fine on just KMR for a little longer. I would offer the slurry with kitten food and KMR in a few days and see if they go for it. Kittens tend to move at their own pace so just follow their lead on it.

Heartbeat stuffed animals are wonderful and I am really thrilled you have one. Sounds like those cuties were lucky you spotted them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The baby teeth are their "milk" teeth. This puts them at about 4 weeks old.

They are adorable! :redheartpump:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're about the same size as the ones I found on Tuesday. I was also guessing 3-4 weeks.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From description I would guess 4 weeks old. The best for them right now is KMR or another kitten mill replacement and some wet kitten food. I would offer them a mix of mostly KMR with a little bit of wet food. Over the next two weeks or so you can increase the ratio of wet food to KMR until they are eating just wet kitten food. Make sure it is an actual kitten food and with how little they will eat it is worth it to invest in a high quality more expensive food.

Little box they should start using on their own if they aren't needing stimulation. Just make sure it is a non clumping one in case someone decides to taste it. I would avoid any sort of newspaper only because you have problems later with them thinking newspaper is appropriate.

I've had one that age before and that was what we did. For the times we couldn't be in the room we left a stuffed animal for him to sleep with but you have multiple so that is likely less needed.

If you search for Kitten Lady on YouTube there is a woman who specializes in neonatal kitten care and has videos on care of kittens under 8 weeks.

Good luck! And we love photos.
Kitten lady is amazing!! Xx

Atlantadad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning.

I posted earlier and received some great advice on aging the motherless kittens we have.

Now I need advice on helping to wean them to solid food.

One kitten will eat a little wet kitten food mixed with formula from a bowl. She mostly seems to eat out the formula and leaves behind the more solid kitten food. I give her the bowl of food and then supplement with more formula from the bottle. When she is presented the bottle, she mostly chews on it and then will drink some.

The other kitten shows no interest in the bowl of food and will not lick my finger with food on it. She will chew on my finger sometimes. She is chewing on the bottle but not as much as other kitten. She mostly just slurps down the formula from the bottle likes she's starving. (and tries to climb up the bottle while I'm trying to give it to her).

One week from tomorrow, I have to go out of town for two weeks. I was hoping to find them homes by then. It is impossible for me to take the kittens with me.

I would appreciate any help you can give me. I've watched kittenlady videos on youtube but found her weaning video unhelpful because her kittens took to the bowl readily. Leading the kitten to the bowl by putting some food on your finger as she suggests is not working.

Please help!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, they are so cute!

Honestly, the kitten does not sound quite ready for soft food yet. She should get there soon.

Do you have friends or family who could babysit the kittens for you while you are away? That would solve your immediate problem. Then permanent homes can be found after you return.

If not, I can look at no-kill shelters for you. I take it you are in Atlanta. Which part?

Atlantadad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would really like to find someone who would be willing to give them the care they need while I am out of town but don't know anyone for sure. I live in Marietta and work in Mableton--my work is just across the river from Atlanta city limits. Thanks.

Atlantadad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would really like to find them a home together but understand that it's not always possible.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are you looking for adopters?

And I think I would make it mandatory that they go together, especially since they'll be very young still.

Atlantadad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued 2 kittens 3 weeks ago; they are sisters. They are now 5 weeks old. One of the kittens is eating out of dish but the other will have nothing to do with it. She is chewing on the bottle which everyone says is a sign that she's ready to eat but she won't. I've tried having her lick formula off my hand--she just chews on my fingers. I've tried getting her to eat out of a spoon, she just cries. I've tried giving her formula in a small jar lid. She just walks in it. I tried slowly moving the bottle toward the formula in my hand or toward the formula in the jar lid but she just steps in the formula. I've tried mixing wet kitten food with the formula and putting it in the bottle. She has trouble sucking it out of the bottle. I've tried the same mix in a syringe but she just tries to climb it. I've tried the same mix in all the above scenarios. No go.

I watched videos from the kitten lady on youtube but her kittens went readily to the bowl so it wasn't that helpful. I read dozens of articles and suggestions but they all say the things I've been trying above.

She is healthy and is gaining weight but I'm worried about her.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried putting her at the food dish next to her sibling at mealtime?

At only 5 weeks, she may not quite be ready to wean.

Have you found someone to watch them while you are away?

I will give you shelter contacts today otherwise.