How often to replace the litter box?

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isabel

Ahh...I see. I have a whole spare room for my litterboxes and my solution for flingers is to place all my litterboxes inside a larger box. I know it takes some room, but it keeps the stuff in. I don't use covered boxes anymore like in the picture because it is so much more convenient to scoop coverless boxes.

We made this by taking 4 lengths of pre-finished shelving and the bottom is that panelling stuff made of pressboard (I think it is called) sold at home improvement stores. The bottom looks like sand, I know, but it is solid. Easily swept up and it can be cleaned with water/vinegar if needed.

My current configuration is 4 big Rubbermaid boxes inside this larger box.
Wow. That's really nice. And the kitten is in there too.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

All depends on how deep the scratches in the plastic get. There comes a point where I can't just clean it. I often use a dilute bleach solution and rinse, rinse, rinse when it's too cold or cloudy to put it outside.

In the summer I use enzyme cleaner and let it sit out in the sun to dry.
I do about the same but will wash with soap after I use the diluted bleach. I keep 2 sets of boxes and rotate them in to give ample time to sun bleach out the real bleach. Mine last a few years because they are only used about 1/2 of the time. I also use sterilite bins which don't seem to hold in the odor like rubbermaid. They're also cheaper than rubbermaid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I tried the bleach and I tried the vinegar on 2 sep occasions this past week and the box still has an odor. Granted, I only smell it if I am on the floor scooping or sweeping where they have tracked litter, but if I can smell it, it must be awful inside for the kitty using it. So I am just going to buy a new one tomorrow