How often should I change the litter?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 cats + 5 kittens = too many litter boxes to count

I scoop each box 2 times a day, and scrub monthly. Unless there is poop on the side of the box, then i dump and scrub ASAP.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I use very fine clumping litter, and scoop once or twice a day. I steamclean the litter box every week, sift the old litter, and put it back in with fresh litter added. I completely replace the litter every 2 - 4 weeks, depending on the brand I'm using (there's one I prefer, but sometimes there's a long delivery period, so I have two other brands of similar litter I fall back on). When I was using a coarser clumping litter, I dumped it all every week.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats/1 litter box ...a big one aprox 16 x 20 with high sides with 1 side partially cut away for them to enter it easier.....made out of one of those plastic tubs/boxes that come with a lid...threw the lid away....I have one cat that can REALLY flick the litter around, even though he does`nt actually cover the poops as good as he should.
I use the cheap clay Tidy Cat litter....scoop 2-3 times a day as necessary and change the litter completely and wash the litter bos aprox every 4-5 days.
I can`t use the clumping (sandy-type) litter as the box ins in a closet in the bathroom (with a kitty door cut in it) and my cats "flick" thier feet whenever they get out of the litter box...spreading the "sand" all over the bathroom floor, making it feel like you`re at the beach if you have bare feet. i find the few gray clumps they do bring out of the litter with them to be easier to sweep up than the sandy stuff.