How often is it safe for a cat to have covenia injections?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the loose and runny stools have cleared up - and that coat is growing back nicely... sort of... she is very itchy. The shelter may have run fecal tests, but our vet, that I am aware of, has not.

Food.  She is currenlty on Max Cat chunks wet food twice a day, we put out dry food every day for on demand feeding, but we have not yet found any she will eat. We are not sure if that is because of the tooth or if she just doen't like dry food.   It is difficult to mess with her diet because she is a very picky eater and will refuse to eat, and if she gets hungry enough to eat something she has refused, she will frequently throw it up right beside the dish while she is eating, or in the hallway leaving the kitchen (where she eats).  (or by the litter box if she makes it that far).  When she is not sick with respiratory/sinus infection, she has been gaining weight and filling out nicely.  Her top weight has been 7.5 lbs that we are aware of, but she looked good at it.

She just had a complete blood work up last week followed by a covenia injection.  She perked up for two days after the injection, but then started going back down hill.  She has a follow-up tomorrow.  I believe her upper respiratory is better, and she has been having bouts of playfulness (when well, she is very energetic and playfull... very actobatic when playing with toys and positively crazy about laser lights and stalking anything that ventures onto our balcony).  But when she is ill, she gets positively drained of energy.  Two different cats when she is feeling good or not...

I think her upper respiratory is better... but the itchiness is worse... and to top it off, a couple days ago we found that she, and our other cat, did have fleas.  Both cats were treated, and the fleas are gone, but she is still itching like crazy and biting like she still has fleas... yesterday my daughter shaved a portion of her tail and the skin beneath is red, scaly and very irritated looking.  It is so hard to give her anything becase like with her issues now, we treated fleas, and we don't see anymore fleas, but the itchy is worse.  Is the itchy worse because she has fleas we don't see?  was she allergic to the flea medicine?  the bath was supposed to help with the itchy, did it make it worse?  Is it a reaction to the medicine?  Is there a connection with the itcy and the L-lysine?  I just don't know. Until we are able to figure out what is making it worse, I am scared to keep trying new things because I feel like  it just makes it harder to pin down the culprit. 

I think at the follow-up my daughter is going to show the vet the patch she shaved and maybe he will do a skin test...I think its awesome there are so many tests that can be run, but honestly we just cannot keep up with the medical bills for this cat.  Its going to require a second job and is really just a little more than we bargained for.  Our vet bills for our last cat got to be pretty hefty with renal failure, but we had that cat for 19 years, and she enjoyed good health for 17 of them.  This cat has yet to really enjoy more than a few weeks of good health at a time, and not sure if we can keep up the bills for another 6 months, let alone 16 years. 

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, and yes, they did the FIV test and she is negative for that.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

the loose and runny stools have cleared up - and that coat is growing back nicely... sort of... she is very itchy. The shelter may have run fecal tests, but our vet, that I am aware of, has not.

Food.  She is currenlty on Max Cat chunks wet food twice a day, we put out dry food every day for on demand feeding, but we have not yet found any she will eat. We are not sure if that is because of the tooth or if she just doen't like dry food.   It is difficult to mess with her diet because she is a very picky eater and will refuse to eat, and if she gets hungry enough to eat something she has refused, she will frequently throw it up right beside the dish while she is eating, or in the hallway leaving the kitchen (where she eats).  (or by the litter box if she makes it that far).  When she is not sick with respiratory/sinus infection, she has been gaining weight and filling out nicely.  Her top weight has been 7.5 lbs that we are aware of, but she looked good at it.

She just had a complete blood work up last week followed by a covenia injection.  She perked up for two days after the injection, but then started going back down hill.  She has a follow-up tomorrow.  I believe her upper respiratory is better, and she has been having bouts of playfulness (when well, she is very energetic and playfull... very actobatic when playing with toys and positively crazy about laser lights and stalking anything that ventures onto our balcony).  But when she is ill, she gets positively drained of energy.  Two different cats when she is feeling good or not...

I think her upper respiratory is better... but the itchiness is worse... and to top it off, a couple days ago we found that she, and our other cat, did have fleas.  Both cats were treated, and the fleas are gone, but she is still itching like crazy and biting like she still has fleas... yesterday my daughter shaved a portion of her tail and the skin beneath is red, scaly and very irritated looking.  It is so hard to give her anything becase like with her issues now, we treated fleas, and we don't see anymore fleas, but the itchy is worse.  Is the itchy worse because she has fleas we don't see?  was she allergic to the flea medicine?  the bath was supposed to help with the itchy, did it make it worse?  Is it a reaction to the medicine?  Is there a connection with the itcy and the L-lysine?  I just don't know. Until we are able to figure out what is making it worse, I am scared to keep trying new things because I feel like  it just makes it harder to pin down the culprit. 

I think at the follow-up my daughter is going to show the vet the patch she shaved and maybe he will do a skin test...I think its awesome there are so many tests that can be run, but honestly we just cannot keep up with the medical bills for this cat.  Its going to require a second job and is really just a little more than we bargained for.  Our vet bills for our last cat got to be pretty hefty with renal failure, but we had that cat for 19 years, and she enjoyed good health for 17 of them.  This cat has yet to really enjoy more than a few weeks of good health at a time, and not sure if we can keep up the bills for another 6 months, let alone 16 years. 
She could very well be allergic to fleas. You'll need to not only treat the kitty but also the house. One of mine is allergic to flea bites, if you can get some 1% hydrocortisone cream, that would help with the itching. I buy mine at dollar tree for $1. I completely understand about the bills, it adds up quick. I do think if you can get her some antibiotics given daily rather than injections because she still has some infection to keep needing back to back injections. You may end up with an anti-biotic resistant infection. If she was allergic to flea medicine she would have had a reaction within the day and it most likely would be fur loss in the area it was applied. Is the patch on the base of her tail or on the tip? I doubt that the lysine and the itchy is connected at all. I really think it is flea bites. Can you post a picture of her and also of the tail area? Is there any reason she is not able to be given oral antibiotics? is she very badly to pill? I am wondering because she is getting so many covenia injections and they just seem to keep the infection slightly under control, not cured.

Last edited:

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She had a convenia injection in January, again in April and now in July.  While those are too close for my comfort, they are not really back to back, as I have had some people say they have one followed by one ten days later.  I don't know if the vet will recommend that.  She has not been given any pill antibiotics, but has been on three liquid medications.  The only one that she absolutely could not tolerate was the flavamox.  They doxycylene she took, but it didn't seem to do anything for her.   Not sure she has been on either of the two you mentioned.  I haven't tried the hydrocortisone cream because this cat baths constantly on a good day (if anyone touches her, she gives herself a full bath.. especially if its someone she doesn't know.  If I pet her, she gives me a bath.  Wasn't sure the if the hydrocortisone would hurt her or not.  We will ask the vet about alergy meds.  My daughter took one picture of her tail (and the patch is shaved, not hair loss, she just shaved because she wanted to see the skin underneath) but it is not very clear.  We don't have a good camera.  I don't know how to upload pictures here.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She had a convenia injection in January, again in April and now in July.  While those are too close for my comfort, they are not really back to back, as I have had some people say they have one followed by one ten days later.  I don't know if the vet will recommend that.  She has not been given any pill antibiotics, but has been on three liquid medications.  The only one that she absolutely could not tolerate was the flavamox.  They doxycylene she took, but it didn't seem to do anything for her.   Not sure she has been on either of the two you mentioned.  I haven't tried the hydrocortisone cream because this cat baths constantly on a good day (if anyone touches her, she gives herself a full bath.. especially if its someone she doesn't know.  If I pet her, she gives me a bath.  Wasn't sure the if the hydrocortisone would hurt her or not.  We will ask the vet about alergy meds.  My daughter took one picture of her tail (and the patch is shaved, not hair loss, she just shaved because she wanted to see the skin underneath) but it is not very clear.  We don't have a good camera.  I don't know how to upload pictures here.
Okay, I wonder if she'd let you apply a very thin layer if you wore gloves and distracted her while doing it? I wonder if she actually does not have a URI any longer, I had thought this was more closely timed together, I hadn't thought this had been going on for over half a year. If they put her on allergy meds it might clear this up. Come to think of it, allergy symptoms do look like a cold in humans, I don't see why it wouldn't be the same in cats. With the sneezing, runny nose/eyes, coughing, etc. Are you in the US by any chance?

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yes, we are in the US.  and allergies, if let untreated can turn into a sinus infection.  IDK.. .medical care  is just getting to darn complicated, in humans, in animals...

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
and on the hydrocortisone, I would be able to apply it, I am after all, bigger than the cat, and trust me, she isn't okay with water baths, but we do those!, I just am pretty certain any creme or ointment would not stay on past me letting go of her and I don't want anything that will make her sicker.  Ah... but the vet appointment is in the am so we will see what he says.