How often does your kitty go to the litter box?

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wasn’t sure where to post this I mean I don’t have any concerns or anything I’m just curious. If this is in the wrong section I am sure a moderator can move it.

They say a healthy adult cat should pee 2-4 times a day and poop 1 time a day. Both of my boys they will go pee 2 times a day and poop 1 times a day. Of course both have had incidents where they peed 3 times a day. Their clumps are always normal size not sure how to describe the size though. Casper once pooped more than once when he had diarrhea bad which was fixed with probiotics. Scooter has moments where he will pee once. Which before he had a UTI I didn’t pay much attention to. The only time I worried was when I noticed blood in Scooter’s pee and that he was visiting the litter box too much. But since he dealt with a UTI 3 weeks ago I became a hypochondriac. It got to where I keep a record of his bathroom habits til I’m sure he is fine. But I was assure it is normal if they go once a day sometimes.

Anyway I’m curious to know what is the normal amount of time your kitty visits the litter box?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It was easier to keep track when I had fewer cats. Generally I see the cats peeing once or twice a day, rarely more than twice. Some of them poop every day and some every other day.

I did have one cat who would follow me around and baptize each litter box with a small pee clump right after I scooped. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was easier to keep track when I had fewer cats. Generally I see the cats peeing once or twice a day, rarely more than twice. Some of them poop every day and some every other day.

I did have one cat who would follow me around and baptize each litter box with a small pee clump right after I scooped. :lol:
It’s why I only have 2 cats easier to keep track since I know who does what. Casper tends to not cover his pee or poop so I know when he goes. Plus he will sometimes come in while I’m the bathroom to go to the litter box. I could not handle anymore kitties right now. I don’t have the space for another litter box or boxes. I feel bad that I only have 1extra large litter box for 2 cats. But when u don’t have the space for another litter box I make do with what I have.

Anyway since I am rambling Casper has a habit of watching me when I deep clean the litter box every week. He will sit on the sink turn his head while I clean out the box. He will sometimes lightly tap my hand to see what I’m doing. But every time without fail soon as I dump the litter in before I can get it spread out in the box he is in the litter box peeing. :lol: It’s like he is making an inspection to see if it is good. 😂

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have 2 cats now and 3 XL litter boxes and they usually use just the two boxes regularly. Both cats pee at least 2 or 3 times a day and poop every other day. They both only get wet canned food with extra water added plus 2 water bowls with fresh water daily. They probably only poop every other day because the canned food doesn't have any fillers or grains.

FrazzledMumbly

Max's Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Max pees about two times a day at random times and poops once or twice. Only sometimes drops a stinky shortly after dinner but ALWAYS has one somewhere in the middle of night/very early morning to wake me up. I guess it depends he eats, some things pass through faster for him instead of bulking up a single trip, but he likes a different flavor each meal so I don't pay enough attention to catch the pattern.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine will usually pee at least three times, poo once. When she was younger, she had a UTI a couple of times. Now I put quite a bit of water in her wet meal, which is 3x a day.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both mine pee several times a day - I don't keep track. Phoebe poos a couple of times a day and Daisy once or less - she has megacolon and runs to her own timetable (no, she is not constipated, her medication keeps everything moving and moist). Though today I think she went twice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both mine pee several times a day - I don't keep track. Phoebe poos a couple of times a day and Daisy once or less - she has megacolon and runs to her own timetable (no, she is not constipated, her medication keeps everything moving and moist). Though today I think she went twice!
I only started paying attention to how much Scooter goes after he got a UTI early September. I still keep track until I’m comfortable in knowing he is okay. Plus it is easier for me to see who leaves what in the litter box. Even though I have 1 XL for 2 cats cause well not having space for another one sucks. But I know who leaves what since Casper doesn’t cover his pee. He will sometimes cover his poop but only half way. 😂 I was just curious to see the normal for everyone’s kitty.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Each cat poos once a day. Mags in the morning and Ghost at night.

I usually have 2 to 4 pees per cat but always around the same amount in the bag. Magnus goes once after dinner and once before bed and I don't know when else. I don't know when Cal does anything as he hides downstairs to do it. Ghost doesn't seem to have a schedule yet like Magnus does. Just when he remembers that he should go, I see him in the box.