How often do you vacuum?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi,

I have 9 cats (5 of my own; 4 fosters, who are presently quarantined in a spare bedroom until their FIV tests come back). Luckily, I can put my litter boxes for the downstairs cats in the garage, which is attached to the house via the laundry room. We installed an extra-large cat door so they can go in the garage (I used to keep 5 litter boxes in the small laundry room--yuck!). This cuts down on indoor sweeping and tracked litter. I really only have one serious shedder (downstairs), so I vacuum about twice a week. We installed laminate flooring downstairs; the rest is vinyl or tile, so it's easier to keep clean--especially when the shedder guy gets incontinent (he was an abused cat, who is about 13, and afraid of thunder and loud noises, and wets himself on the spot). However, the upstairs guys have their litter boxes in their room; we put down sheet vinyl (it's a craft room), so I sweep almost daily, and mop at least twice a week. They don't shed much, luckily!

To tell the truth, my area rugs probably could use more vacuuming than that, but I work full-time, and take care of 9 cats, so I have a great excuse!

BTW, we didn't abuse the cat mentioned above! A neighbor abandoned him shortly after we moved into the neighborhood, and we took him in--despite his abused past, he's the sweetest cat you could imagine, so loving and trusting.

MargeCat

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm the weird-y! We vacuum at least once a day. Sometimes twice. We have an apartment and two dogs (one of whom is an Alaskan Malamute mix, wooly variety) and a cat. We vacuum the common area 2x a day, usually and the bedroom 1x a day.

Mostly b/f does it. He's a weird one.

paige

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vacuum the carpeted areas- living room and the bedroom the cats use- once a week usually Friday. The hall, kitchen and dining room were just redone in tile. I use a light weight rechargeable vac/sweeper for those areas every day. Now that I have the sweeper I may use it on the carpeted areas midweek. I also use the sweeper in my bedroom, which has hardwood floors. I also use the Swiffer wet mop on the tile about every two weeks. With seven cats there is always lots of hair no matter what method I use.

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I vacuum daily. I used to do it a couple of times a week, but we got a pug and they shed something awful. My husband got me a roomba robot vacuum last christmas, so it makes my life soooo much easier. I just press the button, and off it goes!

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid to admit... every three weeks.
I do not like vacuuming.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once a week vacuum of carpets, every other day sweeping of the floors in the kitchen - my Pebbles has a nasty eating habit. She takes one morsel at a time out of her bowl and eats it over the floor leaving crumbs everywhere! There are 4 bowls - so I mean everywhere!
Just out of curiousity - what do people use for vacuums? I've heard that Dyson's are the best for animal hair, but I've found that uprights in general (especially bagless) suck! (or don't suck - depending on how you look at it
). I tried an upright after my teenager burnt the motor out on my canister by letting the beater bar suck up a run of my berber carpet in the cellar
and I hate my upright! When I try to vacuum the kitchen floor I can feel the dirt spitting back out on my feet. That and there's dust spitting out everywhere! This is why I sweep my floors. That and it so hard to do stairs with an upright. I honestly don't know how people use them and like them so much. Am I missing something here?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put once a week, cos that is my goal. But I miss pretty often. And with a dog and 3-4 cats inside, it gets pretty furry!

I have a roomba, too, but use the regular vac as well.

I don't know how people find time to vaccuum daily...it would cut into my TCS time! LOL!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well before my Vaccum broke I did it twice a day. Once in the morning before work and once when I got home. But Its been over a week now with out vaccuming and all I can say is YIKES! It's a mess. Tons of cat and dog fur. But I only have 1 area rug so its not to bad. The hardwood floors I can just sweep and mop daily.