How often do you scoop your litterboxes?

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I scoop 2x a day. I use Worlds Best Cat Litter (WBCL) it has a lot less dust than anything else I've tried and it's flushable

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Three cats, four boxes, Tidy Cats scoopable.
We scoop twice a day (me once, husband once- that's the deal!) into a plastic container with a lid that is lined with Hefty "Scrap Bags", and toss that once a day. Scoop and covered pail hang on hooks in a supply closet with pails of litter.

I completely empty and clean one box every week.
Two of the boxes see a lot more use than the other two, so I play musical boxes (they are identical storage containers) and put the lesser used box in a spot where it will see more action. Kind of on a rotation schedule so that I always have a freshly clean box somewhere but still don't have to toss perfectly good litter that hasn't been used very much.
Does that make sense?

It is interesting to us that on any given day they will all tend to use one box more frequently, and the next day they will all gravitate towards a different box. There's no reason- no human activity interfering, no territory problems, no box is any different than any other.
They are all still kittens and just enjoy changing it up!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To everyone scooping like three times a day: Do you throw out a new plastic bag that often? Or do you have a little pail thing, like for diapers? Or do you flush it? I would feel weird throwing out a bunch of plastic bags like that.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use 2-3 bags a day. I get Hefty "Scrap Bags" that are around $3 for a box of 50, so that's $4.50 a month for bags. My bucket has a lid, and theoretically we could scoop and seal to save on bags, but to be honest it smells too bad when I open it back up, so we don't do that.

I could recycle plastic grocery store bags if I wanted to save money, but for me the convenience of scooping and tossing makes it worth the money.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh!
I've never seen anyone do anything but use plastic grocery bags. Can you get scrap bags at most groceries? I've never seen them.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Grocery store with the baggies, trash bags, etc.

The thing with the recycled grocery bags is that too many of them have holes or spring leaks to suit me. These scrap bags are small, secure, and fit my bucket perfectly- well... I did buy the bucket after finding the bags so I matched them up.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Before we got a Litter Locker, we also used the scrap bags.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
I scoop 2-3 times a day. and I change all the litter and disinfect the boxes every other month. I have one cat, two LARGE boxes, use WBCL multicat and keep the litter 3-4 inches deep so the clumps of urine rarly ever reach the bottom of the litter pan. never have an odor but I have the luxury of keeping both her pans in an unused shower stall so she can kick all the likes and the litter stays in the shower stall. In my new house i will also be able to use an exta shower stall in the powder room.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i line my littermaid receptacles with 4-gallon trash bags [aka small kitchen bags] so i don't have to replace the receptacle each time i empty the collected waste. i put the bags in another bag, then in the garage can - but the smell still comes thru [hence the garage can, not one in the house!] i used to use grocery bags, but the trash bags work better - no holes, etc - & seem to be stronger.

cagnes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I scoop at least 1-2 times a day... into an empty litter bucket, lined with the small 4 gallon trash bags. The bags are vanilla sented & come in a roll of 50. They are kind of thin & sheer, so after I tie off the bag I also bag it in a grocery store bag, so you can't see the contents.

I use to use the grocery store bags exclusively but because of the tiny holes on the bottom, I was using at least 3 bags per scooping & was always running out. Plus, they didn't do a thing for holding in the odor.

spitfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About 3 times a day if I'm at home. Husband comes home at lunchtimes and does it then.
I've only 2 cats now so that dont usually make that much mess!