how often do you give your indoor buddy a bath?

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had my girls for a year and a half now, and they haven't had a bath. Last time we were at the vets, she specifically commented on how clean they were. They are indoor cats and both clean themselves very well, in addition to the "baths" they give each other on a daily basis. I do once in a while have to wipe Belle's butt off (long haired/soft stools does not mix!), but even that, I don't do a very good job (she's very protective of her back end) and she gets it clean herself pretty quickly.

If I need it, I have some waterless shampoo on hand in case someone needs a spot bath...they'd have to be pretty dirty for me to attempt a full bath!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bathed Penny and Daisy 1x in 2005 and 1x in 2009

So in total they've had 2 baths each in their entire lifetimes

However, I only used water so maybe I wasted my time. (Although their fur did feel softer) As for the cats' behavior during , well, they weren't happy during but they were good about it.
No one harmed me but you could tell they were counting the seconds til it was over. (I was rather fast anyway)

I bathed them in the kitchen sink!

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bathe my cats every 4 months or so. Monster has long hair, and he is constantly shedding, and even though Mittens has short hair, it even seems as if she is constantly shedding, too. So, I like to give them baths every few months to help get rid of some of that extra fur, because neither one of them like to be combed. Even treats don't really help.. Monster has so much fur that I'd go through a whole bag of treats by the time I get him fully combed out. Also, the ONLY time either one of them will be calm enough to stay still while wrapped in a towel for me to clip their claws, is right after a bath. I DO clip their claws between baths as well, however, its very hard to get them to stay wrapped up long enough to get both paws done.. Usually, if I'm clipping, and they haven't had a bath, Monster will escape at LEAST once, and I have to leave him go for a while before I can catch him and finish. Plus, I LOVE how soft both of them feel after a bath...(Monster is always soft, well actually both are, but they're even softer after a bath) =]

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

Never. They bathe themselves and I like my skin intact. They are short haired and they do not get dirty. If they got in to something nasty, I would probably risk it.

Years ago I had a white cat I got as a kitten. He wasn't very good at grooming, so he had weekly baths starting as a kitten. He actually enjoyed it. He's the only cat I've ever bathed.

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
...Never. Then again, I've only had him for three months, but he keeps himself very clean. His previous owner gave me wipes to clean him with in case he ever got into anything. He told me, "Wipe him down when he's eating! He ignores everything when he's eating."

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every three or four months. The past couple of years I've been using baby shampoo instead of pet shampoo. That pet shampoo smells pretty gross.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bathe mine about once a month. Unless they are going to show. Then more. But I have long haired Persians. If I didn't have long haired cats, or allergies, I wouldn't bathe cats. Most just do a good enough job on their own!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bathed my cat I had growing up every month. He was allowed outdoors though and I noticed he got much dirtier than the cats I have now.

My cats I have now I have never bathed. They do a nice job themselves. I do brush them every week and than use a wipe to get the dander off and give their coat a little shine.

boni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i bathe my kitties about 3 times a year with a quick rince cat shampoo.... i also fill the bath tub with warm water so i can get it done faster.(it takes 3 mins) i gently dunk the body only i never do the head pick them up on my lap and rub the shampoo in the dunk agian. they dont seem to mind as much. (hate it when there is running water!!!