How offten should I trim my two 13 week kittens claws?

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Took them in today for their first vet visit and while I was their they clipped the kittens claws for me. I ordered a nice pair of cat claw clippers which are suppose to arrive tomorrow,  but was wondering when I should cut their nails again. I assume it would be every couple of weeks, but I wasn't sure.

Last edited:

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Their claws grow fast at that age.   I did my cats' claws every week until they were past one year of age.  I still check them weekly but I find once every two weeks is enough.  They're also pretty tolerant of claw clipping now.  

Some hints, let them get used to the scissors before you go at it, and try not to restrain them too much. You can do one or two claws at a time initially.  And be generous with the treats...starting out, give one treat per claw.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A lot depends on the individual cats. I have two sisters whose claws grow at different rates. When they were kittens one needed to have hers trimmed every 5 days and the other could go 10 days. As adults the one still needs hers done about every 10-12 days while the other is about once a month.

Just check them every few days. Handling their paws when you're not clipping is a good idea anyway since you can get them used to it without traumatizing them.