How normal is cats drooling from happiness?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first cat first did this around 10 years old one day while being petted on my lap. Since then whenever he's enjoying nice bonding time he will drool. My 2nd cat drools a lot when he's purring and happy. They don't drool any other time and vet says their dental health is great.

How normal/common is this?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty common and pretty normal. Over my adult life I have lived with seven cats and two of those were droolers when they were happy. One was practically a fountain of drool whenever you petted her, requiring me to keep a towel on my lap or I would get soaked. One of my current girls, Lola, is a less prolific drooler but will start if I am petting her in a way she really likes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty common and pretty normal. Over my adult life I have lived with seven cats and two of those were droolers when they were happy. One was practically a fountain of drool whenever you petted her, requiring me to keep a towel on my lap or I would get soaked. One of my current girls, Lola, is a less prolific drooler but will start if I am petting her in a way she really likes.
Ok that's great to know! I googled and even tho happiness is mentioned usually most results pointed to health issues. My second cat is a fountain as well! He was drooling even when we first met him at the shelter. I keep tissues handy so I can wipe their mouths 😸

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Lily was a champion drooler. Her teeth were fine, too. She’d just bliss out on my lap, and the drool would flow. Her sister, Iris, drools, too, but is more dainty about it. :)
EC72BBA2-8D36-45A2-BF0D-7176E9BC8EB5.jpeg

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can slobber pretty well when they're happy. I have one that drools when she smurgles. She leaves a big wet spot on the blanket. Seems to come with the territory: If you have a smurgler, expect at least some drooling.