How much your baby weigh?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A kitten gains about a pound per month, so if she's 3 months old, she's right on target for her weight.  Now, if she was only 1.5-2 pounds and was 3 months old, I'd be concerned.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  I know that my male cat is larger than my females.  I think that's just how nature works.  Males in most species are larger than females.  She is also big enough to be spayed now.  Pediatric spays can be done at 2 months or 2 pounds. 

I currently have 4 adult cats and the females all weigh in the 7.5 - 8 lb range.  My male, who is much longer and bigger, weighs about 11 pounds.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Stephanie, I can relax a little reading your reply.  All of my girls were done when I got them Mia is the only one that never spayed and etc.

Sparkymema, her fur is okay and her stool been tested and clear. She was a little bit sad yesterday, all day sleeping and doesn't want to eat but drank water, it seems she got no appetite. When she woke up late afternoon she vomited one time.This morning she eats dried foods a little and drank water, then she is playing again, running and catching Macha.  

Thank you for sharing those pictures Grizzly, the improvement wow amazing,  it will help me a lot to understand.

Royal canin dried foods and Royal canin canned foods for kitten. It's hard to type she is here on my knee sitting down and watching as I type lol

I am so glad I posted and asked :-)

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you understood a bit, about what I showed you @Macha 143  

The improvement on his weight actually was achieved as soon as I excluded the foods that contained grains and had 30% protein at the most! 

I mean, I used to feed him a combination of these foods and 70-90% protein foods. His weight got better, along with his fur and his "bathroom" visits, when I excluded the 30% protein+grain foods.

I never gave him (nor my ferals) Royal Canine, so I don't know the ingredients or the percentage of protein they contain. Maybe you should have a look. 

Oh! I just saw this!

Sparkymema, her fur is okay and her stool been tested and clear. She was a little bit sad yesterday, all day sleeping and doesn't want to eat but drank water, it seems she got no appetite. When she woke up late afternoon she vomited one time.This morning she eats dried foods a little and drank water, then she is playing again, running and catching Macha.  
When Grizzly was a kitten, he had a few vomit episodes.. My vet advised me to
  1. Do no allow him to eat for 6-8 hours and poach some chicken along with rice and feed him on that alone
  2. Quit giving him wetfood and start him on dry food (he didn't like eating dry food yet)
What I did, was to skip only 1 scheduled meal, in order to allow his stomach to recover from the vomit. But I didn't let him starve for 6-8 hours! He was a baby! So, I just poached some chicken, with rice, a small piece of potato and a small carrot. But the chicken portion was like 60-70% in comparison to the rest of the ingredients. I gave him that and he devoured it!

I continued giving him only this meal for about 3 days and then he started eating dryfood on his own (which, he didn't like, up until then).

This kind of meal allowed him to recover well, to get his protein and to gain some fluids back (because vomiting causes dehydration - especially to kittens). Steamed cooked meals worked nice too.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens grow while they sleep and I found when Tumbles was going to have a growth spurt, he was less active, slept more, and ate a little less.

I think Royal Canin kitten food is great for little ones.  I love it and fed it to two of mine as kittens.  At around 5-6 months, I started transitioning to a grain free canned food for adults, but still continued to feed them dry kitten food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Kittens grow while they sleep and I found when Tumbles was going to have a growth spurt, he was less active, slept more, and ate a little less.

I think Royal Canin kitten food is great for little ones.  I love it and fed it to two of mine as kittens.  At around 5-6 months, I started transitioning to a grain free canned food for adults, but still continued to feed them dry kitten food.
Thank you so much, you are very helpful Stephanie and I appreciate all advice you given me.

You guys are awesome!!!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aria was just over 4lbs at 4 months when we adopted her, but now going on 6 I'd say she's probably 5.5lbs or so. Maya was 7lbs at her last checkup in October, and yes she's full grown and perfectly healthy. She's just a tiny thing. As our vet says she's 5lbs of fur and 2lbs of cat. I'm not sure about Zoey but she'll be going in to get a checkup and shots within the next couple months (I think her shots expire in January) so I'll know her exact weight then. I'd guess she's probably 11 or 12lbs.

They all eat Grandma Z's, which is a high quality, grain free dry food meant for both kittens and adults. We don't free feed because Zoey and Aria are pigs and Maya's a slow eater. They all seem to be doing really well on it and they love it.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten weighed almost exactly 2 pounds at 11 weeks when she was spayed. We got her from the shelter the day after her spay surgery and she acted like nothing had happened. She was a playful happy kitten and recovered from the spay no problem. She is now almost 9 months old and weighs right around nine pounds.

The only cat I've ever heard of having trouble with a spay surgery was my mother's cat when she was a teenager. Her family waited until the cat was over a year old for the surgery. The cat never came out of anethesia. The vet found that she had a heart defect so the surgery was too much for her.

The vet that we have I our area does spays on any cat or dog over 2 pounds. He has lost 1 animal only in 45 years of his practice doing mainly routine dental work and spay and neuter.