how much water is a kitten supposed to drink?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

That's really good news with Jake being so picky!! He purrs as soon as he hears the can being opened, but will barely touch dry food unless he is starved
btw, Authority has a wet food, as well - that's what mine get for their wet.

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
bringing this thread up from the dead.

back to the question at hand how much should a kitten on dry food drink? a 1/2 cup of water a day? We only give them a tablespoon of wet food a day so lets say for a dry food diet how much water should they be having? They are only 6.5 weeks old.

Thanks

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The common # seems to be 5 oz a day for an adult cat... If you are feeding wet (6oz), you barely need any water added to that, since 70% of it's volume is water...

If the food is mainly dry, you should shoot for the 5 oz, which is a bit more than 1/2 cup...

ut0pia: Purina is bad... For what I can tell, your vet didn't have a valid reason - the tooth thing is a myth... Since your cats eat wet, IMO, you should continue to feed him wet, and leave dry out for him to snack on throughout the day. Authority seems to be pretty good for its price - certainly a world ahead of Purina...
If you see the first 6 ingredients on Purina, they are mostly useless or bad when it comes to cat nutritional needs... Get rid of by-products, make sure to have a Meat source as the first or second ingredient that is not "Meal", and try to reduce the corn as much as possible. If you use these "guidelines", you will get better quality foods...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm feeding him royal canin for dry and authority for wet at the moment. I stopped feeding purina around the time I last posted on this thread..He eats 90% wet and only eats his dry food as a snack, mostly eats one bowl of dry for about a week...

chevysmallblock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is 13wks old. I rescued him @ 6wks. I started him on vitamin D milk diluted with water. He had Fleas BAD! So I gave him a flea bath with"Sentry PurrScriptions Flea & tick Shampoo".  Two times, once @ 7wks then @ 9wks. I then noticed little pieces of what looked like rice, where ever he slept. (worms) So I purchased "Feline WRM CLEAR" at PetSmart. Dosage 3x"s a day 5drops each time for 14 days. I also noticed some on his anus. Thats how I new they were worms. Ive had kittens that grew to  cats that lived 17years "Indoor"@ put down due to feline lukemea and kidney failure. I noticed rice grains again. I read up on worms and after 60days go by you should repeat procedure? He is scratching his ears so I assume that is ear mights? I cleaned his ears with alcohol. I also applied the flea ointment that you place from head and neck area.  He is normally very active. Im worried because he is acting very lethargic should I be concerned? He is also drinking alot of water. Again should I be concerned?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten is 13wks old. I rescued him @ 6wks. I started him on vitamin D milk diluted with water. He had Fleas BAD! So I gave him a flea bath with"Sentry PurrScriptions Flea & tick Shampoo".  Two times, once @ 7wks then @ 9wks. I then noticed little pieces of what looked like rice, where ever he slept. (worms) So I purchased "Feline WRM CLEAR" at PetSmart. Dosage 3x"s a day 5drops each time for 14 days. I also noticed some on his anus. Thats how I new they were worms. Ive had kittens that grew to  cats that lived 17years "Indoor"@ put down due to feline lukemea and kidney failure. I noticed rice grains again. I read up on worms and after 60days go by you should repeat procedure? He is scratching his ears so I assume that is ear mights? I cleaned his ears with alcohol. I also applied the flea ointment that you place from head and neck area.  He is normally very active. Im worried because he is acting very lethargic should I be concerned? He is also drinking alot of water. Again should I be concerned?
Hi :wavey: C chevysmallblock

You need to take your kitty to the vet.....
All this stuff you are getting over the counter can be dangerous for cats, and for kittens it can be very dangerous. Kittens should be seeing the vet often, for deworming, vaccines, etc.
This "rice" you are seeing is tapeworms. Do NOT give OTC (over the counter medicine - go to the vet and get him properly medicated.
SAME for fleas - lots of these over the counter medication can be poisonous for cats, some of them can be very harmful.

Please, stop treating him yourself.... Your vet will have proper medication for his tapeworms, fleas (they are related), ear mites, etc.
I would be very concerned that he is lethargic - kittens can go down quickly - I would take him in at once.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

btavis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten (Kyra) I rescued at around five weeks old. She is now about nine weeks old and has started drinking more water than she did initially. She is otherwise in good health; eats well and is very energetic.  Although when I first rescued her she did whimper a little when urinating but that passed. I suspected a UTI and I will have the vet check her out when she goes for her shot updates next week. I have six cats and two of the older ones also drink a lot of water. The others not so much. With my oldest cat ( who is of indeterminate age since I rescued him) who I am guessing is around seven, drinks the most amount of water. He has neither UTI or diabetes. The vet said some cats just drink a lot of water.

Here is a picture of Kyra:

proudkittymommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is your kitten doing? Did you go to the vet?