How Much Water Do You Drink?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i don't drink loads of water - but i drink loads! i drink tea as my 1st preference, altho water is my 2nd choice. i'd say at least 2 gallons of fluid a day, if i can drink all that i want [& no, i'm not diabetic or even pre-diabetic! i do have some meds that cause dry mouth].

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Drinking too much water can be harmful and flush out vitamins and sodium, so I guess you've got to listen to your body.
The average person eats enough salt and their bodies can hold onto it so that usually isn't a problem - potassium can be an issue though. Get low enough on that and you'll have some pretty serious consequences.
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I have a cute purple 32oz water bottle that I keep ice water in and drink on throughout the day. I'll usually refill it 2-3 times. I'm always thirsty! (I'm insulin resistant too though so that probably explains me drinking soo much
)
Dys people tend to always be thirsty. Maybe it's all the adrenaline from the tach burning through it, low blood volume, typical high sodium diet, or just a confused hypothalamus - whichever it is most of us drink a lot. And for the unlucky ones, we pee it right back out.

Originally Posted by Meowers

That doesnt really include diet soda and juice, which are hydrating liquids too.
Unless the soda is caffeine free, it's not. Caffeine is a mild diuretic - meaning it makes you pee more.

Originally Posted by laureen227

i'd say at least 2 gallons of fluid a day, if i can drink all that i want [& no, i'm not diabetic or even pre-diabetic! i do have some meds that cause dry mouth].
What happens if you don't drink any fluids, for say 6-8 hours? Do you still pee and what color is your urine (does it still look clear)?

I don't know how much I drink, I think it varies between 2-3 liters, but can be more on some days. I'm supposed to be drinking large amounts of fluids and eating a lot of salt through - for most people that much fluid really isn't needed. You're just putting more strain on your kidneys.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good question. If you can't get enough water during the day green tea is a good tea to try for a little different flavor, there are many types, you can fix hot and cold. Also adding lemon and lime to agua can be good for a change. 100% fruit juices are also a tasty way as well to get some good fluids. Regular tea is not counted, coffee, soda (diet or not), stuff like that doesn't count either towards the "water quota" under normal circumstances.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around 2 litres a day, depending on how hot the weather is. I keep a 1lt bottle on my desk at work and sip it all day and of course I drink more once I get home.

I don't drink soft drinks, pretty much all I have is water.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I don't drink as much as most of you. With my new part time job I have a 16 oz water bottle in the
but we are so busy I'm not drinking much anymore at work.
When I am doing my gardening/landscaping sometimes I don't have access to a bathroom so I end up drinking more liquids once I get home.

I have my 12 oz coffee in morning, some oj, milk with my meals though (and the beer/wine too!) I do drink seltzer/carbonated water though and thinking of making my own instead of buying it. I can stand by sink and just drink a glass of water from the tap it doesn't have to be really cold.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Regular tea is not counted, coffee, soda (diet or not), stuff like that doesn't count either towards the "water quota" under normal circumstances.
I agree that drinks with a high amount of caffeine [coffee], as well as any caffeinated drinks that have other additives [pop] etc. do not count but tea does if you are not adding things to it. Even in caffeinated tea, the content is low so some caffeinated tea is fine as well. I've talked to all of my doctors about tea counting toward water intake.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

I agree that drinks with a high amount of caffeine [coffee], as well as any caffeinated drinks that have other additives [pop] etc. do not count but tea does if you are not adding things to it. Even in caffeinated tea, the content is low so some caffeinated tea is fine as well. I've talked to all of my doctors about tea counting toward water intake.
Yes, I have too and got the opposite answer, which I posted. It is recommended the preggo women watch their intake of normal tea, as well as certain other individuals. Green tea and some herbal teas are different than normal tea according to the doctors I have spoken with.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A serving of black tea (normal tea) has 55mgs of caffeine - I'm not certain, but I assume this means an 8oz glass.

A can of Pepsi (12oz) has 38mgs of caffeine.

Everyone figure it out on your own if tea is really better then soda caffeine wise.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

A serving of black tea (normal tea) has 55mgs of caffeine - I'm not certain, but I assume this means an 8oz glass.

A can of Pepsi (12oz) has 38mgs of caffeine.

Everyone figure it out on your own if tea is really better then soda caffeine wise.
That would be a pretty strong black tea. The problem is that pop has quite a few other nasty ingredients added to it. Sugar (or worse - aspartame) and a whole list of artificial ingredients. One 12oz can of pop is MORE than a days worth of sugar.

Additionally, you figure I only use 4 tea bags (which according to directions would only make 24oz of tea) to make almost a gallon of iced tea. And I use one tea bag in a cup that holds 16oz. of water.

Back to water...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

What happens if you don't drink any fluids, for say 6-8 hours? Do you still pee and what color is your urine (does it still look clear)?
well, the only time i go that long is when i'm asleep - but yes, i usually have to pee when i wake up. it's always clear, usually a neon yellow from the b vites i take [i also take a potassium supplement]. if for some reason i didn't take the b vites, it's very pale - still clear, tho.
didn't have as much to drink today as usual - we went to the fair.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

That would be a pretty strong black tea. The problem is that pop has quite a few other nasty ingredients added to it. Sugar (or worse - aspartame) and a whole list of artificial ingredients. One 12oz can of pop is MORE than a days worth of sugar.
That's what the back of the box said it contained per serving - I didn't make the numbers up. Soda has less sugar then any tea I drink... I dump the sugar in.

well, the only time i go that long is when i'm asleep - but yes, i usually have to pee when i wake up. it's always clear, usually a neon yellow from the b vites i take [i also take a potassium supplement]. if for some reason i didn't take the b vites, it's very pale - still clear, tho.
I know you said that you're sure you don't have diabetes, but if your urine doesn't concentrate it points towards possible diabetes insipidus. This has absolutely nothing to do with blood sugar, so testing for that type of diabetes is pointless. The other possibility is something else has caused some kidney damage, tests may not catch it early on - and taking extra vitamins could accelerate damage.

If anyone here drinks a lot of water, or actually craves it/gets ill without it and/or doesn't have urine that concentrates, please go to the doctor.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I know you said that you're sure you don't have diabetes, but if your urine doesn't concentrate it points towards possible diabetes insipidus. This has absolutely nothing to do with blood sugar, so testing for that type of diabetes is pointless. The other possibility is something else has caused some kidney damage, tests may not catch it early on - and taking extra vitamins could accelerate damage.
the vitamins aren't negotiable - i had gastric bypass surgery almost 3 years ago, & must supplement to avoid deficiencies due to the malabsorptive aspect of the surgery. i'll ask the doctor about the other, tho.

i just looked up the symptoms... even w/the volume i drink, i don't have what i would consider excessive urination [which is also a symptom]. i've been known to go up to 6 hours [but i don't LIKE it!] before getting a bathroom break. i also have a urinalysis every year in conjunction w/my yearly physical. that's listed as a diagnostic tool for this condition - is it normally something they would test for?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

the vitamins aren't negotiable - i had gastric bypass surgery almost 3 years ago, & must supplement to avoid deficiencies due to the malabsorptive aspect of the surgery. i'll ask the doctor about the other, tho.
If the is anything going on with your kidneys you may have to change some of your supplements forms. Since you have malabsorption issues already there's a likely chance that you're not getting all that much from anything in pill form. There's also so much filler in them that your kidneys have to get rid of - did you know cellulose is common(in meds and supplements)? And some people here won't even let their cats have that.

I really need to figure out if there's anything bad going on with my kidneys, even if I take potassium and magnesium (which is hard for me to take) everyday I cannot keep my potassium within normal range. It dropped 1.8 point in less than a month recently. Since I do eat plenty of veggies and a lot of tomatoes and tomato products that seems a bit odd. It could be from a high water intake - which is why people need to be careful, but that doesn't explain why IVs fluids and supplements don't do much.

And yes people, water can hurt you. Too much is hard on the kidneys - you make them work more, and you're not flushing toxins, you're flushing out electrolytes and if you don't replace them you get sick. (low potassium causes heart arrhythmias for example) Some of the amounts listed here are too high for people that are supposed to be healthy and likely not spending large amounts of time in the heat sweating.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I drink about a gallon a day. I get kidney stones if I don't drink enough water, but I like water. At the right temperature it almost tastes sweet. I normally drink filtered tap water, but I drink fancy bottled water or mineral water here and there. I like Aquafina, at 42 deg F. Double boiled NYC tap cooled to about the same temp is really good too.

Actually water from different places taste different. I noticed in Michigan the water has a coppery metallic tinge, and in Ohio it has kind of a musty/milky/sulfury taste. New York has a very sweet tasting water depending on where and what time of year. NYC fountains have a very earthy/metal taste to the water but not necessarily in a bad way. Water in Korea always tastes kind of funky, like feet, so I usually stick to juice or tea there. In Japan it tastes... old? Not sure how else to describe it. Depending on where you are, further north you go you notice it less.

I guess I'll try some Canadian water tomorrow when I go up there. I hear it tastes real good, sweet tasting.

Also on a side note, because I drink so much water from different sources I get sick every now and again if I drink from a bad source. Like those water dispenser/coolers in offices. I think it's because they're never cleaned or something but they harbor a lot of bacteria.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

I drink about a gallon a day. I get kidney stones if I don't drink enough water, but I like water.

I noticed in Michigan the water has a coppery metallic tinge,
Like with cats, humans can modify their diets to help prevent those. And some parts of Michigan has a lot of iron deposits - some of the town names reflect this, ie - Ironwood, Iron Mountain. It wouldn't surprise me if there's more with iron in the name.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

If the is anything going on with your kidneys you may have to change some of your supplements forms. Since you have malabsorption issues already there's a likely chance that you're not getting all that much from anything in pill form. There's also so much filler in them that your kidneys have to get rid of - did you know cellulose is common(in meds and supplements)? And some people here won't even let their cats have that.
most of mine are in capsule form. i also malabsorb fats, so my E, A, D, etc. are in dry form. also allergic to fish, so that's a side issue... i belong to several online forums specifically for WLS peeps. this helps me to determine the best choices for absorption.