How much to feed?

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am soooo confused.
My kittens are 10 months old - male and a female. My female is about 10.5lbs but my male is 14lbs. The vet said he is about 10% overweight and she wants him to get down to no more then 12 lbs. My girl is also on the round side and could loose a pound or so.

I feed them with an autofeeder and realized i was feeding them almost 2 cups (total to share) a day plus a 3 oz can (my girl eats most of the wet food). I realize this is too much and i am starting to cut it back. But how much should i feed? 1/2 cup each? 3/4 cup total? I am so confused. The food is grain free and is a urinary formula.

Ive got it down to 1.25 cups total plus the wetfood with plans to drop it to 1 cup within 2 weeks. Would 3/4 total be too little? Right now theu get dry food twice a day (3/4c at 8am and 1/2 c at 8pm) with the wet food at dinner time. The 3/4 c gets them through to dinner time.

Lypholt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 year male and 9 month female. Male is like 11 pounds and my female is 9 pounds. For dry food I have 2 bowls and each has 1 cup of dry food. And that’s for 1 day and they both eat together. For wet food I only feed 1-2 times a day because they don’t really eat a lot of wet food and each time I feed them it would be around 1 1/2 spoon for my female and 2 spoons for my male. Yeh that’s it but you should start slow and not just changing up their food. Yes

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
10 month old kittens are still growing but not as much as when they were 10 weeks old. I would not put them on a weight loss diet now.

Feed the cats enough calories to maintain a healthy weight. This is generally suggested to be 20 to 25 calories per pound of body weight daily. Dry foods are super calorie dense per cup (like a meal consisting of a fast food burger with the works and extra large fries) so if you can feed less (or ideally none) that would be best.

Calorie content is listed on pet food labels as kcal. Figure out how many calories each cat is eating currently. Then do the math for the calories in a reduced amount of dry food and how much canned food you'll need to feed so the cats are each getting enough calories. Cats who don't get enough calories daily will be hangry and exhibit bad behaior like peeing outside of the litter box, constantly screaming for food, digging through your kitchen trash can, getting on the table while you're trying to eat, etc. You'll need to feed each cat their own food in separate bowls so you can track how much they are eating.

Why are the cats on a urinary formula? If they have no history of urinary issues, there's no point of a urinary formula. To prevent prevent possible urinary issues, just feed plenty of canned food which is the easiest way to get water into a cat to keep the urine well diluted.

Food is one of those things you can disagree with the vet about :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet has said my male needs to loose some weight. They are on urinary food because my male has had some recent issues.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our boy was getting chunky at that age too, he loved to eat. We cut his dry food to very minimal and let him fill up on pate wet food with added water. No free feeding, just scheduled meals. The wet food kept him satisfied, no going hungry, no dieting. Now he is almost two years old and a little over 16 pounds and his body condition is perfect. He’s just a really big tall long cat. Everyone says cats are done growing the first year, but I am shocked at how much he grew in the second year, even late into the second year. Your boy will probably use up his extra fat in the growing process, too. The important thing is limiting dry food.