How Much To Feed?

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The boys are almost 6 months old (birthday 10/25/17) and weigh 8 lbs. I feed them canned food (Wellness Core, Tiki Cat, Weruva, and Instinct)
about 10.5 oz each per day spread over 4 meals. Am I feeding too much or too little or the right amount? How do I know if I am feeding too much? They mostly each all of the food each day though not always at each meal. I save any leftovers until the next meal where it typically gets eaten. They weighed 5.2 lbs when we brought them home 3 weeks 3 days ago.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Your boys are still kittens at this age. Feed them as wet food as much as they can eat at one sitting and 3-4 times a day. They need all the proteins from the wet food for growth. Wet food will keep them hydrated.

They are energetic and they burn off lots of calories when they play. Don’t worry about over feeding them. Only worry about under feeding them.

Once they reach adult age of one year old, their food intake will taper down. And as they grow to two years onwards, you notice that they’ll eat less.

But I won’t stop giving them as much as they can eat. My boy is two years three months old and I still feed him as much as he can eat. Sometimes I have to beg him to eat after 6 hours but he dosen’t eat because he’s not hungry :lol: When he’s really hungry, he’ll meow and meow at me asking me to feed him.

Your boys weight is within range so don’t worry.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What cute boys! i love them :)
as tabbytom said feed them as much as they will eat. She gave very good advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! It’s been so long since i’ve Had kittens that it’s hard to remember these basics.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
3 lbs in 3 weeks? Wow! The rule of thumb is not to restrict food until they are a year old, but start paying attention when they are 9 months. Ask the vet if their current weight is appropriate then. My sis had an overweight cat at 8 months, and the vet had her start restricting a bit at 9 months. Sometimes they simply become carb addicts like humans do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They definitely aren’t overweight. I think they were somewhat underweight when they first came home. They are fed only high quality canned cat foods so very limited carbohydrates.