How much to feed 6 month old kitten?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can give him a bit of meat for extra protein :). But it's best not to mess with the calcium content; that can make a real problem for his bones/joints. I promise that commercial food has plenty of calcium, even for a growing boy :D. A small multivitamin, while unnecessary, may not hurt but I do think you should talk to the vet about it. Commercial food has so many vitamins added that adding more can just throw the whole balance off.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The muti vitamin is Fel-O- Taurine.  The bone meal is just sprinkled too he doesn't even get a teaspoon a day. I can save the bone meal for my plants. Thanks
Please tell me you've been giving him human grade bone meal and not gardening bone meal.

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please tell me you've been giving him human grade bone meal and not gardening bone meal.
Oh yes. I have given him human grade. I thought it was cat grade when I ordered it.

I upped the nutrition when it became apparent that cat food wasn't up to par. Especially for kittens. They grow so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And exactly how did this become apparent? I'm not trying to get smart, I'm just trying to understand.

Last edited:

alexx214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually the statement is, "Dogs have owners, cats have staff." I see it everywhere.

Some people say cats are not spoiled; they train us.
hahaha, that's funny.. and yes i would agree to that. lol

I think i will go broke feeding kittens haha.. but it's all worth it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bone meal actually is bad because it comes from 4-D animals. If you need to add calcium, which is only necessary if you are making the food yourself, eggshells are a safer option.
Not all bone meals come from 4D animals - human grade doesn't.

The muti vitamin is Fel-O- Taurine.  The bone meal is just sprinkled too he doesn't even get a teaspoon a day. I can save the bone meal for my plants. Thanks
I wouldn't be adding any, unless you are balancing raw.
1 tsp of bone meal is a lot.... If I were you, if this was my kitten, I would stop this asap.... just my 2cents FWIW :wavey:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are new cat staff.  I feed our almost 6 month old 3x a day sometimes four and am wondering if I should be feeding him more.  I currently give him a 1/4 cup of kitten chow and Iams kitten mixed and about 1/3rd of a container of Meow Mix tender favorites. I pour the wet over the dry which encourages him to eat some of the dry food.   He really isn't a fan of dry food.  So his total food for the day is 3/4 dry and one container of 'wet'  It's really chunks of meat or fish w/sauce or gravy. We also feed some meat (if kitty friendly) at dinner to appease his curiosity.  Yes we are careful re onions and garlic and have actually cooked small portions w/o spices for him to be safe.  If I put more of the wet food he doesn't always finish all of it and he doesn't eat all the dry in the dish.

He looks big enough, definately growing.  But do I give him more food as he gets bigger?  He was about 2 lbs in June and about 5lbs in July - not sure how much he weighs now.  

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@HandsomeKitty If he likes wet food and you can afford it, most here at TCS recommend an all wet diet. Pate' style food tends to be healthier as it's devoid of wheat gluten most of the time.

A lot of cat employees here feed a raw diet of fresh ground meat, bone, and organs. Their are many threads with regard to this, but imho if you can afford it, it's the most healthy.

With regards to dry food the brands you mentioned are loaded with corn and meat byproduct meal. This is junk, and not good for your cat. Their are better dry foods that are grain free, but for the most part wet is much, much healthier.

On a side note this thread is almost 2 years old. You'll get more responses if you start a new one, or add to one that's still active.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention kittens eat like crazy. It's normal as long as he's been wormed.

If eats a quality food, he will eat less as well. A fine example to consider is how junk food doesn't fill you up. You get hungry again quickly, as well.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,  I'll talk it over w/ my daughter.  The cat is hers. The meow mix tenders looks like chunks of meat so I prefer it over the smelly cannned food so I should probably offer more if I take out the dry - most of which get tossed anyway.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
The most important thing with any food is to look at the ingredients. You want a named meat source as the first few ingredients (chicken, turkey, beef...) Stay away from corn, wheat, soy and glutens. If your kitty can tolerate it, I think some rice ok.

Check out Sheba. It's a lower priced food with decent ingredients. I like Nulo, Nature's Variety, Holistic Select and Natural Balance pouches.

Last edited:

purrrdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check out Sheba. It's a lower priced food with decent ingredients. I like Nulo, Nature's Variety, Holistic Select and Natural Balance pouches.
If you have a Big Lots nearby, they sell Sheba 3 oz cans for .50 cents. I believe the same cans were .89 cents (possibly on sale) at the local big box pet store.