How Much to Feed 4 Month Old Kitten (not sure if he is hungry all the time or just wanting food all

sphan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There,

My 4 month old boy is always hungry, constantly hungry. Always wanting food when we are home, in the kitchen, eating, even after he has had his dinner, we try to feed him at the time we get home and start on dinner. When we are preparing meals he is jumping all over the kitchen benches (which we are trying to control) and eat/grab/paw at any food he can see, he also does the same thing when we are sitting down to eat. I almost always have to place him in another room for us to eat in peace.

It doesn't matter what time of day or night, Stark will always want to eat. He even had a go at kitchen sponges this morning.. And in an attempt to keep him off the benches tried taping foil on the edges, I noticed one of the foil pieces were missing this morning. I am a little concerned about this and will be discussing with the vet on his visit which is due.

Currently we are feeding him 1/2 cup of Purina Pro Plan dry food a day (package indicates 1/3 to 1/2 cup daily for kittens 3-9 months old from memory), spread out into two meals. My vet did not see any reason why I should be feeding Stark more than twice a day.

He is a healthy looking boy, I cannot see his ribs but can feel it. He is happy - pretty hyperactive too.

May I ask (without sounding too ignorant) if this is normal kitten behaviour? Should I be feeding him more or feeding him something other than Purina Pro Plan?

Thank you.

** I've also just realised I have posted in Cat Health.. Sorry, maybe not the appropriate forum but can't figure out how to change it! **

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you feeding him the Kitten formula?  I just looked up the packaging information for one of the Kitten formulas, but of course I don't know which Pro Plan you are feeding, or how much your furbaby weighs.  Taking all that into consideration, for a 4 month old, it states to feed between 1/3 and 2/3 of a cup, but then further down it says "Feed 1/3 to 3/4 cup for kittens from six weeks to one year" .  Odd, huh?

If your little one is acting THAT hungry, I think I would increase his food a bit. When we adopted our boys at 4/1/2 months, neither of them ever begged for food like that.  As a matter of fact, I had a hard time making sure Tinky ate enough

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This dosis sounds rather small. It is also somewhat individual.  I remember our second kitten did always ate up his own portion, after it he ate up his big massive dad the studs portion, and after it he meowed for more!

Also, twice a day may be ok for an adult. 2 times a day is too seldom.

What is the protein and fat content on this your dry food?   Shall be high, the fat not under 20%, many brands has it too low.

Anyway, consider to go over into wet food instead as the main course, and dry as fill upps.

Its easier to make a decent wet food than dry food.

Last, not least.  He is properly dewormed, right?  Discuss this too when at the vet.

If they have worms, they tend to be extra hungry.

Good luck!

Welcome to our Forums!

ps.  I shall ask a mod to move this your thread into  Nutrient subforum.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As StefanZ mentioned, most dry foods are not high enough in animal protein and fat, which are the things that help cats feel satiated. Growing kittens especially need high animal protein and fat. Almost all dry foods are too high in carbohydrates which cats do not process well and have no nutritional need for. In addition, they don't provide the moisture that cats are geared to get with their food. Please go to www.catinfo.org if you would like to learn more about feline nutrition and related health issues.

I disagree with your vet that a kitten only needs to be fed twice a day. Cats actually do better on smaller more frequent meals. Kittens even more so. Most adult cats do ok on 3 feedings a day (before work, after work, before bed). Kittens do even better on at least 4 feedings a day, but most people find that difficult to do with their work schedules. I would really try to add in at least one extra feeding and as much wet food as you can.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sphan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all of your responses, and help with getting this thread into the correct forum. My sister left a container of pea, fennel, and zucchini risotto last night which Stark got into.

Purina Pro Plan - Kitten (Chicken and Rice Formula). I have been told and have read on a few websites that this is a more premium type of kibble..?

Crude Protein 40%

Crude Fat (min) 18%

The Feeding Instructions is 7 weeks to 6 months, 0.7 to 2.6kg = 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup daily. The first ingredients listed on the package is chicken and poultry meal, followed by corn gluten meal, wheat and wheat by products, animal fat (derived from beef, and/or lamb).

He was treated for coccidiosis about 8 weeks ago but that has passed (no more diarrhea!), he has been wormed properly and regulary using Revolution.

I will definitely try 3 feedings a day, though not sure if 1/4 cup for each feeding will be sufficient, I will give it a test and see how I go. Possibly increase the serving size..

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stark sounds hungry. He's a growing boy and the usual suggestion is to let him have as much as he wants at this age. As already suggested, switching him over to canned food would be better for him.

You could try feeding him canned kitten food morning and bedtime, and leave some dry food out for "grazing at will" during the day if you are away at that time.

The Pro Plan dry - chicken is good, poultry meal O.K. but corn gluten meal, wheat and wheat by products are all carbohydrates and cats do not benefit from carbs since they cannot digest them like a cow or chicken can.

Pro Plan makes canned kitten food if you want to stay with that brand.

Enjoy your days with an adolescent cat. Take lots of pictures. They grow up so fast!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sphan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Catapault.

I think I might try switching him from Pro Plan as there seems to be quite a few fillers in there, and will also be leaving out some kibble during the day. It seems as though every time I do leave some out he's at it and finishes it right away, doesn't like to waste time, this one.

While I am here, is it recommended to feed two different brands? I will be switching Stark over slowly but have found Wellness canned food and Nutro Natural Choice Dry to be quite good, with no by-products in either.

I will definitely take your advice on board about feeding canned food morning and night with some dry food during the day though just trying to find the best type of canned food is my goal now.

Stark has definitely grown up fast! I've only had him for a little over 2 months and he is so much bigger than when I first got him. Amazes me!

brand leesnider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the correct feeding scheule is to feed 4 times a day 1/4 cup each until 6 months. You can go on Purina website and look up feeding information.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed him more often, canned food at least 4 times a day, as much as he will eat at each meal, and I would get him on a good wet diet, eliminate the dry all together.

A four month old kitten doesn't need to be free fed. Schedule feed him a healthy wet diet. The others have already pointed out the poor quality of the dry food you are feeding which might explain his hunger, since he may not get adequate nutrition from the food.

Feeding a variety of canned brands is a good idea for many reasons. In case of a recall, if you are feeding a rotation, any negative imp[act on his health will be lessened. It prevents addiction to one single food, which is good for many reasons, including recalls, or the food being discontinued. And of course the more variety the better, because you never really know if one food may be lacking in something.

Last edited:

brand leesnider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dry food is good for cats . Dry food keeps tartar from building up on the teeth. My one year and 3 months old cat has been on dry food his whole life and is just fine.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dry food is good for cats . Dry food keeps tartar from building up on the teeth. My one year and 3 months old cat has been on dry food his whole life and is just fine.
It's not Brand LeeSnider, really, it is not. Please trust us on this, and do more research.

Dry food does not keep tartar from building up on a cat's teeth. For one thing, cats don't have the kind ogf teeth that can grind down hard cereal. They have sharp pointy teeth designed to rip and tear meat and bone.

Many cats swallow kibble whole, but if a cat crunches at a kibble at all, it shatters into crumbs. These crumbs tick to the teeth, between the teeth and under the gums, growing bacteria, which leads to plaque, tartar and dental disease. In addition, because most kibble is full of carbohydrates, which simply turns to sugar in the mouth, this causes even more dental decay.

Dry food is very very bad for cats. Cats are obligate carnivores. This means their bodies are designed to eat meat, and to get all their nutrition from meat animals. Their bodies are designed to get the moisture they need from their food. A cat cannot drink enough water to make up for the deficit on a dry diet.

Your young cat may seem "fine" now, but he probably won't remain "fine". A dry diet can cause obesity, diabetes, urinary tract disease (very VERY common, especially in male cats) and kidney disease.

Please do some reading on this site:

www.catinfo.org

Which is written and maintained by a vet who specializes in feline nutrition.

Don't feel bad because you have bought into the whole "dry food is god for their teeth" and "dry food is good for cats" fallacy. Advertising is a powerful thing. But it is all propaganda. I'm glad you have joined TCS, so you can learn about things like what is the healthiest way to feed your precious boy, so you can keep him healthy and happy for many many years.

Last edited:

brand leesnider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat will not eat wet food for one. He tried it and won't eat it. Two his teeth is completely healthy three my cat has a wild cat for a parent and mom was feral. Just clipping his nails is an ordeal. I really don't want to get bite brushing his teeth. I can not afford the vet to brush his teeth. My husband know family to have indoor/ outdoor cats on dry food and lived to be 15 and older

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plenty of cats have lived long healthy lives on dry food. But that doesn't make it good for them. Plenty of people live long lives eating mostly junk food. I'm glad your husband's family had a cat with good genetics.

I have 8 indoor-only cats as pets. They were all feral cats, most of them we know for sure they were mutli-generational ferals - all of them rescued directly from outside. The youngest was 6 weeks when rescued; our oldest was 3 or 4 years old when we rescued him. I can clip his claws. It's knowing how to train them to get used to it.

I only brush the teeth of one of my cats, but they all get regular dentals at the vet. The vet does not brush their teeth. The cats are put under anesthesia so the vet can take x-rays to see what's happening inside the teeth and under the gums. Then the teeth are cleaned - far more than "brushed." A number of my cats have had to have teeth removed because of decay that could not be seen visually.

Dentals do cost quite a bit, and many people do not have them done for just that reason.

brand leesnider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just has a bad temperment I guess.  I think he was abused in the home right before mine as a kitten. Even my vet think so . Might explain the bad temperment and the fight for basic maintience.

Last edited by a moderator:

vivian1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the exact same problem. My little one is 5 months old, though the vet said last week,no he is younger,as hes very small. Hes over doubled in weight in the last 4 weeks Ive had him,is healthy and all is fine,apart from being hungry alllll the time,lol. I find him in the sink licking a dirty spoon knife or fork, I even found him on the kitchen bench ,beside the oven, licking the top of the cooking oil bottle, he is obsessed with food.in the kitchen all day waiting for something. Yes hes been wormed with vet stuff, not cheap supermarket products, that tend not to work. He obviously has no worms,as he weight has doubled,lol. I was told by the vet to feed him dry food, as its much better and also good for the teeth. Well I 1/2 listened to vet, I feed him dry food in the morning and canned food at night, so yes only twice a day, perhaps that isn't enough? But I don't want a fat cat, I want a healthy cat.Ive checked on the back of dry cat food packets in the supermarket and they all say totally different things, so its very confusing.

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think he is just hungry - Hugo was gobbling like 3/4 cup of Orijen cat & Kitten + 1/4-1/2 can of 5.5oz wet at 6 months old. (Granted he is a big boy in terms of length). I was surprised by how he much he could eat and used to leave him a timed feeding for wet. Just feed him until he decides to stop eating.  Usually eating more is a sign of an oncoming growth spurt and I would be surprised if your kitty is just getting there.

whitegreenkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten approximately 4 months old, and I feed her 3-4 times a day. I still end up having to watch her watch me eat. Kitty eats and drinks a lot, and is still very active. I am guessing that she was either hungry a lot before I got her, or she's just gonna be a big girl...or both! Had her 3 weeks already and I am planning a better grade of food in the hopes that I can wean her to 2 meals a day in the coming months. As a growing kitten, I believe they have to eat 3 times a day in order to curb/prevent adverse behaviors associated with hunger issues.

louann1977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the moment I have 6 kittens ranging from 5 weeks to 5 months. I feed the older ones wet food 2 to three times a day and I free feed the kibble its out 24/7. The younger kittens get wet food about four times a day. None of mine are fat. But they still beg for food and will get on tables and gobble up anything left on the floor. They hardly get treats because they usually just turn their noses up to it. 

itcarus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for this conversation about how much to feed (4 month old kitten), I too have a now 4 month old little boy he is such a stinker too. We got Itcarus when he was a 6 weeks old. He has been as I call it (withering away to nothing). I say this because he is ALWAYS "asking" for more and more food even tho he has eaten his far share. So I pounded the internet to see if this is just normal or if he is actually more hungry...since he is growing and is my first kitten, it scares me to know I could be starving my poor guy. This is what I found: mixing both wet and dry food for a cat is not only nutritionally better for thier digestive system but it actually keeps him full so much longer. I found ONE website that told me that, I want to spread the word around since Itcarus was literally eating me out of house and home I wanted to MAKE sure he was ok. I of course took him to the vet to rule out anything like worms...he is ok. Also with Itcarus teething he doesn't have that many teeth, was watching him struggle to eat just dry food so wet food provided the necessary moisture to his food now we are both happy. 

Sincerely, 

Happy Itcarus!!! ;)