How much time to spend with a cat

leesestyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krzkrzkrz

Greetings all,

We are three in the apartment, and we are looking to adopt a cat. The cat is 5.5 months of age and a cross-persian.

On week days, I and another normally finish work and at home by 8pm and get to sleep by 11pm. The third house-mate comes home around 5-6 or earlier depending on some days.

On weekends, we spend a few hours out of the house and spend the rest most of our time in.

I am very concerned about how much time we would be spending with the cat/kitten and how this may affect her. Given our current lifestyle hours, do you think this is enough time to dedicate?

Best regards,
Krz
i agree that all cats are different and if that's what your cat has become accustomed to, that might be totally great for her. i know for murphy, that would not be enough time. we have playtime every morning for several hours when he follows me around. he sits on the counter while i make coffee and read the paper (cuddling with him while he sits on the paper lol) , then it's off to the bathroom where he sits on the counter while i shower and do my hair & makeup (an hour lol) and hangs out in the bedroom while i'm getting dressed... all told, about 2+ hours. then i leave for 3-6 hours (depends how busy my day is) and i'm generally home by 3:30p and we hang out ... i'm usually on the phone/computer until 5 or 6p and murphy sleeps next to me on my desk. then we have dinner and the rest of the night until midnight or so is playtime...

wow, he's spoiled! lol. i've never actually added up how much time i spend with him. it's ALOT!

Spoiled? Nahhhh.

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As others have said, it completely depends on the cat. Gracie only craves attention in the early morning, and I'm not always awake or available at that time. Other than that, she desires "companionship" mostly with my stairs and chairs. She is very rarely in the same room as me when I'm home (her choice)... she simply doesn't care.